PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 formula won't start after engine. Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 formula won't start after engine. Swap

Ok I have 98 formula . I threw a rod and pulled the motor it was a 2000 motor with a cam and bolt ons I had it tuned for my setup on the stock 98 computer and harness. I bought a stock 98 complete motor yesterday and put it in the car with my same tuned computer and harness when I go to start the car it will turn over but does not even try to start .
I'm getting fuel but no spark I checked it with a spark tester between the coil and plug and nothing . When I turn my key on my odometer and trip display is lit up but blank .

Do I need my computer flashed or could it be a ground or harness problem where should I start
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make sure the wires are connected on the passenger side kick pannel, there are 3 plugs. They come from the engine and pcm to the cluster and other functions.

Make sure you have good connections on the 2 pcm connectors, check all you fuses in the car and in the engine bay.

Also check the white connectors for the coil pack wiring harness.

Theere is 3 grounds on the drivers side head, make sure they are all there and connected.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM

I'll check everything and update soon
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, you left something off/unplugged.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, when I put my new motor in, we grounded the 3 grounds on the driver side head to the same place. The car would do the same thing that yours was doing. We ended up playing around with those grounds and moving one of them (I don't recall which one it was or if it matters) to a different ground and the car fired right up!! I don't know if that is exactly how to fix the problem but it definitely showed me how important proper grounding is!! You might want to just double check that!

Quick Reply: 98 formula won't start after engine. Swap