PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can completely draining the battery wipe a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Can completely draining the battery wipe a tune?

Can completely draining the battery wipe a tune?

I had an issue of stuttering while cruising in 6th. It popped the light but now it gone. Ever since my car has lost a ton of snarl from the exhaust. It doesnt rumble or bark when snapping the throttle. I don't know how else to explain it but it sounds more stock-like now. Drivability funny as it may seem, seems to actually be better. Better low rpm pulling when lugging gears trying tosave gas. I got on it a couple of times and it pulls real had so mug that it might even be faster I dunno.

This is really wierd I can't believe the sound has changed, there's no service engine light on anymore either. I wonder if that jerking I was getting cruising in 6th may have damaged something ?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

No, it just erases your fuel trims and anything that it learned. The tune is hard programed into the pcm and wont erase by unhooking the batt.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting so it can have some noticeable affect on drivability ? That can explain it then, the car drives really good a little too stock like but I'd trade this smoothness for a little sound any day.

It all started with the driveline bucking while cruising at 80mph in 6th, it came and went. But the real change I'm describing here in sound and drivability only happened after I left the parking lights on and I killed the battery.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's like a computer...if you unplug it from the wall and take the unit away does the hard drive lose all your files?

If reseting your battery makes the car drive better means your fueling needs to be tuned. The tune that you have now calls for shitty fueling, but reseting the battery fixes that...you need to get that fixed in the actual tune not by the battery.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Oh I agree I would need to get the tune looked at. It was tuned in south Cali before I brought it up here in the winter weather in Toronto last summer. I just ant seem to figure out how the car sounded the way it did for 10 months and ten all of a sudden I flatten te battery and it sounds different and drives different..