Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster swap

i am wanting to change the cluster in my 99 camaro z28, if i put a diffrent one in, should it work fine after being plugged in or does it have to be calibrated to my vehicle or something ? The link is a picture of the one i want to put in and the picture shows the needles in specific spots, does it have to be calibrated or will it adjust correctly when plugged into the vehicle ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Ira
Teching In

As far as I know, there were only 2 clusters ever used in a 4th gen F-bodys. The LT1's used one version and the LS1 uses the other. The Camaro and Firebird use different overlay, needles and bezels but the electronics are the same. The mileage will be wrong but everything else should be OK including needle position. If the needles are off, take the bezel off and put the cluster back in when the car is cold. Turn the ignition on and move the needles the amount needed. Carefully pry the needles off with a needle puller or a salad fork being careful not to scratch the face. Push them gently trying to keep them aimed where you want. I usually put them an a tiny bit to test as I always try to get the speedo and tach perfect and it invariably takes more than one try before I'm happy. I put black tape on my needle puller to prevent scratches.

If you want the mileage correct, try moving the display from one to the other. All the ones I've seen have looked the same and seemed interchangable, but to be honest, I've never had 2 at a time in my had to test the theory.

Ira
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

97 Camaros used the digital odometer so it might not work with an LS1. Evertime I take my cluster out and the needles are off due to handling it, I'll plug it back in and turn the ignition on and the needles sweep to full or max and go back down. All the levels are correct just like before I took it out.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 98 and 9-02 are different. I know on the 2002 cars you need to resync the airbag system when you swap clusters. I would expect this to carry true back to 99.

98 is swap and play.

Ryan
Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

The cluster will work but the mileage will like to be programmed
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mileage will stay with the cluster. If you put a 50K mile cluster in a 100K mile car, it will show 50K

The dealer can only program a 0 mile new cluster. Some aftermarket services can adjust the mileage of a used cluster.

Ryan