Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threw a P1404...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threw a P1404...

Hey guys help me out here... Heres the scoop. Since the weather was nice today id figure id get my car and wash all that dirt off.. and I didnt wash the engine either... So after I finished getting my car cleaned up I went for a short drive to the store and back. When I pulled into my driveway, I let it coast without touching the gas.. to keep from getting it dirty again and I notice that it seems to be "missing" a bit. So I pull it in the shop and now its really missing purdy good. Sounds just like its got a cam in it And it doesnt lol. I rev it up a bit and seems to be missing at part throttle. Then the SES comes on. I hook up AT and only code is P1404 EGR Closed Position Performance. Could there be some carbon up in the EGR valve? Would that cause it to be missing so badly? Oh and it doesnt crank back up too easily either. I have to give a bit of throttle to start. Any ideas? Only mods are the SLP headers and cats.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

does it run alright off idle? your EGR is definately clogged/FUBAR. you may try tapping on it while it is running, that may loosen up whatever is holding it open.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
does it run alright off idle? your EGR is definately clogged/FUBAR. you may try tapping on it while it is running, that may loosen up whatever is holding it open.
It definitaly runs better off idle but its got like not misfiring but not right either. When you been around engines awile you know when something is just not right but its not skipping kind of way... hard to describe. Like its running on the wrong air/fuel ratio side of things.. which would be right if that egr is stuck open forcing exhaust into the intake which is what i think its doing.

I'm gona take a look see here in a bit and see if its stuck open or whatnot. Would carb cleaner be safe to clean it with?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by west1055
I'm gona take a look see here in a bit and see if its stuck open or whatnot. Would carb cleaner be safe to clean it with?
Hehe.. found my problem.... This little piece of what i think is small rock was stuck holding the EGR pintle fully open. No wonder the thing was runnign bad. My question is how the hell did a rock get in my exhaust system??
Attached Thumbnails Threw a P1404...-egr_blockage.jpg  

Quick Reply: Threw a P1404...