PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rich codes (p0172,p0175,p0101)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rich codes (p0172,p0175,p0101)

So I have a stock (except CAI) 2004 GTO. When the weather was getting cold I got lean codes (171,174,101). I put on a new MAF because of the 0101 code, but still got the lean codes. Then I moved to NC (warmer weather) and the codes all went away.

Fast forward to now, temps are up in the 80s-100s. Now I get the rich codes and the MAF code. I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, cleaned the TB, replaced the MAP and the IAT, and cleaned the K&N filter. Cleared the codes and fired it up. Still have like -14.8 LTFT, and ~0 STFT and after some time idling the light came back on for 171 and 174.

Today I will check the fuel pressure and check/replace the plugs. Any other suggestions? TIA!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you need a tune with that CAI.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM

So I tried running the car with the MAF unplugged and now the fuel trims look great! Idle went from -17 to 3.1 (positive). I logged a cruise and my LTFTs are all between +-5.

So this begs the question, is it the MAF? I replaced it in December with a new (not reman) one from Autozone so I didn't suspect it, but I did get the p0101 MAF code.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Oh and my fuel pressure looks good. Sticks at about 60-61 psi and doesn't fluctuate with RPMS. Minimal bleed off after 5 minutes (some of which was the crappy gauge fitting).
Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"So this begs the question, is it the MAF? I replaced it in December with a new (not reman) one from Autozone so I didn't suspect it, but I did get the p0101 MAF code."

Still have the original? Clean it, and try it.
Swap w/ someone for a test?
Is the AZ unit an OEM maf?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Still have the original? Clean it, and try it.
Swap w/ someone for a test?
Is the AZ unit an OEM maf?

I don't have the original, and Idon't know anyone in the area with an LS1. So I just bought a cheap used one on eBay. I'll also check the connector tonight. The AZ MAF was a Cardone.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Old Geezer,

I wanted to thank you, I believe I fixed it and you helped, but not in an obvious way. After I posted my last reply lying to you about not having the old one, a eureka memory moment occured and I remembered that I still had the box from the new one. Lo and behold, my old MAF was in it.

This time (unlike when I first did it) I took it completely apart and it was gross. I sprayed it and very very very gently rubbed with a Q-tip and cleaned it all off. Sure enough, I plugged her in, and after some wierdness (haven't reset trims yet) the idle trims looked sane.

Went for a drive and logged the trims for a while. LTFTs are almost all positive, but the STFT seems to want to bring them back down closer to 0. So tonight when she cools down I'm going to change the plugs and pull the battery to reset the trims and see what happens!

Quick Reply: Getting rich codes (p0172,p0175,p0101)