Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will this affect my tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will this affect my tune

ok i just installed a set of mac mid headers well my saw ran out of power so my question is would it be safe to drive my car to the exhaust shop with just the headers install and should iinstall the O2 sensor for the drive also i got a LQ4 with out a tune. Will i do damage if i drive it and will the header install throw the stock tune off even more
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not enough info. Will it start, idle, go around the block? How far is the shop? Will you have to climb any hills or mountains? Will you have to run up to highway speeds or can you just mosey threw back streets? Can you keep your foot out of it?

If you only have headers it will most likely not want to run well enough to make it. I would sugest to leave the sensors unplugged until you get there and get the exhaust capped up. That way the pcm will not be changing any fueling based off of an O2 sensor seeing O2 coming back into the exhaust from outside air. Will it damage your engine? unless it is really over fueling, or drove hard or fast, or poping out the intake (indicating a very lean condition) I doubt you will have engine damage just moseying over to a shop. It could cause your plugs to foul out and they might need replaced.

The ideal thing to do is get a trailer and take it to the shop, then to a tuner so you can enjoy it. I would not suggest trying to enjoy it even after it has the exhaust finished until it has been properly tuned.

Good luck.