Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning questions

Ok, so I'm looking at making back into my tuner here in a week or so to get my gas mileage issues lined out hopefully. Here are my specs of my 240sx with lq9 swap tuned on EFIlive:

Engine: 2003 Cadillac Escalade LQ9 Iron Block 6.0L 10.1:1 compression
Heads: Pontiac G8 GT L92/LS3
Intake: 2010 Camaro pull-off LS3
Throttle body: LS2 2005 GTO 90mm DBW
Cam: EPS 222/230 .597/600 114LSA
Lifters: LS7 GMPP replacement lifters
Pushrods Manley 7.4000 stock length hardened
Springs: PAC 1518 beehive
MAF: Stock truck MAF
Gas Pedal: 2003 Escalade
TAC module: 2003 Escalade
Dr. X-link For full throttle range
Transmission: 2004 GTO 6spd
Clutch: LS7 clutch kit with flywheel
Rear End: J30 VLSD R200 3.916 ratio
Tire Height 25" (255/40/17 on 17x10" rims)

The few issues I've had were cooling (fixed with bigger fan) I now top out at around 210. I've also had an issue with high IAT temps, like around 150ish at idle, fine at cruising speeds. I think that is fixed, but will be able to tell here in a day or 2 once my gauge arrives that lets me see all those readings. I still have a manifold that's leaking around where it bolts to the exhaust. I have since removed my cat and replaced the ricer muffler. The y-pipe still needs cleaned up though.

On the tuning day the tuner used the stock 2003 escalade rom to do the tune on EFIlive. He had some issues, due to limited experience with DBW setups and truck PCM's mated to 6spds, with getting it to want to tune. At first it was only putting down like 200hp and was pulling all the timing out. He tried a couple different roms and finally went back to the escalade one. After looking at all the posible settings and turning a bunch of stuff off he got it to quit pulling the timing. Once it was finally said and done I was putting down around 330whp and 340wtq. Lower than what I had hoped, but was told it was ok considering at that time it still had the cat on it and the y-pipe is really restrictive, and fixing these issues would net maybe 40 more hp/tq

So the problem is as of right now I'm only getting around 12mpg on a good tank. My AFR runs around 13.5-13.8 most of the time when cruising with fluctuations upto 14.5ish. I keep feeling some light surging at lower rpms <2000, but no CEL coming on.

What things should I be looking for when I go back to the tuner to help with this LQ9/T56 tuning?