Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf only tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maf only tune?

Any downside to running an open loop maf tune? Pros or cons? Why the need for ve?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Well if your MAF fails and you haven't tuned your VE then your car will run like crap, or it might not run at all depending on how radical your setup is.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

VE is dipped into during transient throttle/air conditions below 4000 rpm (unless you change that threshold).
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of folks on www.Hptuners.com/forum have been running setups "MAF only" for years.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
VE is dipped into during transient throttle/air conditions below 4000 rpm (unless you change that threshold).
So how does the maf respond to transient changes accurately without ve? If you stab the throttle doesn't it take time for the air to reach the maf and compensate?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by STAR
So how does the maf respond to transient changes accurately without ve? If you stab the throttle doesn't it take time for the air to reach the maf and compensate?
I run MAF only and never really noticed any issue.

To answer your question, I think of it like this:

You have a 14 foot hose full of water that is pumping through at 9 gallons per hour (we'll call this idle). You measure the flow at the 2 foot and 12 foot marks. Now, let's assume someone flips a switch to change the flow to 250 gallons per hour instantly (we'll call this WOT). The pressure change is going to push the water that's already in the hose through. It's not going to have to wait for the 9 gallon per hour water to get out of the way. It's the same density, same mass, etc. So, what you measure at both ends of the hose should be equal.

Same goes for airflow in our intake system. Only difference is, it's being sucked in - not pushed (unless your forced induction). As long as your measuring the flow at a stationary point in a closed system, it shouldn't matter.

**Disclaimer** I'm by no means fluent in the theories of flow dynamics, but I'd be surprised if this example is off. If it is, I'd love to know why.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water's fluid mechanics don't apply for air, because water can't be compressed but air can. So a transient can cause vacuum, turbulence and other things that don't happen with water. You need to tune the MAF if the intake pipe is longer than stock, because the longer it is the bigger the effect will be under transient conditions.

Quick Reply: Maf only tune?