Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 staying in open loop, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 staying in open loop, need help

Have a 00 Camaro SS M6. Installed BBK LT headers and BBK ORY and 3" catback. Been having an issue with it trying to idle at around 400 rpms and running extremely rich every couple times I drive it and it usally happens after I drive for a little bit. Had the rear O2s deleted and the emmisions deleted also with a buddy's hptuner. The fan temps were lowered for the 160* t-stat. Had a friend hook up on a scanner and after about 20 minutes idleing it started to act up. The O2s were showing 290 or somewhere in there but the car was in open loop the whole time. Never had this issue before the exhaust. I do have a SES light for O2 not heating up. Is this an O2 issue or something to do with the tuning. Would that have something to do with staying in open loop. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an O2 sensor or wiring issue - make sure you didn't melt an O2 wire on the exhaust... also check the connectors.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Hook up a scanner and look at the o2 and make sure they are switching above and below the switch point of .453mv I believe on idle. If one or both (B1S1/B2S2) stays at .453 it means you have a dead o2 or open circuit somewhere. if they stay on the lean side lower than .453mv and your fuel trims are adding fuel then you have a vac leak somewhere or you could just have a bad 02 and the fuel trims are trying to correct it which would cause a rich condition. Most likely it is a bad o2 since a open in one of the circuits would throw a code.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 09-08-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Long tube headers keeping the egt down, setting the heater error???
An error on a sensor will cause the OL problem...
Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 AM
2TR
On The Tree

From what your describing I gather when the car warms up long enough to go from open loop to closed loop it throws code (please post DTC code #?) for failed 02 and stays in open loop.

Question: Were the headers installed with new longer replacement 02 sensors (i.e. Vette Bosch PN#13111 02's), stock sensor with premade 02 extensions, or stock sensor with wires modified by extending them by splicing in additional wiring?

I bet you have a broken or bad connection. I rarely find a car with damaged 02 sensors. Issue typically is in the wiring used to extend the location of the stock 02's. Either its not plugged in to the correct location (i.e. connected to rear 02 harness instead of front, yes I've seen this before), extension wire is cut or damaged, or connections are not snapped together.

Recommend you disconnect the 02 sensor from harness on both sides, reconnect. Retest for issue.

Last edited by 2TR; 09-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

I have the 24" premade extensions with stock O2's.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM
2TR
On The Tree

I recommend you reset the DTC code so you start with a clean system (autozone can do this for FREE). Then unplug the 24" O2 extensions. SWAP the extensions ONLY (not the sensors) from driver to passenger side and vice versa. Before reinstalling them identify and seperate your FRONT O2 sensor connections COMING from the computer side (not the sensor!), and your REAR O2 sensor connection on both driver/passenger side of the car. You should have (4) connections identified. This is so you can confirm someone didn't accidentally plug a front sensor in a rear sensor line to the PCM. Once this is confirmed install the extensions swapped as directed above...now see if the issue goes away all together...if so the extensions where loose and not plugged in correctly. If it persists but moves to the passenger side its a wiring issue with the extensions...If issue stays on the driver side you most likely have a dead O2 sensor.

The above is DIY 101 Self Diagnosis. Its not perfect but it will save you alot of time and $'s!

Quick Reply: LS1 staying in open loop, need help