PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please evaluate, how do these numbers sound after tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Exclamation Please evaluate, how do these numbers sound after tuning?

Ok, made some more fueling changes and did plenty of relearn time. First, the changes:

-IFR table scaled to 90% of stock
-PE vs RPM table scaled to 96% of stock
-Some more minor VE tweaks to help stabilize the idle further
-Removed the rest of my TM

Now, the results:

Hot/warm idle is great, fires right up and holds a steady 800rpm. Cold starts are good (fires up no problem), but it idles a little low and has some very minor surge (100rpm or so variance) until 100* coolant temp or so is reached. Cold start will probably be better now that the LTFTs have re-learned, that was the very first cold start right after the new IFR table flash.

With the IFR table changes, I've gotten my LTFTs to an average of roughly -3.0%, with peaks as high as -0.8% to -7.8% (cruising) or -9.6% (idle). This was after about 50 miles of driving and at least an hour of run time. B1 and B2 Ltrims are sometimes split as much as 4%, but that's basically always how they've been. Often they are within 2-3%, and sometimes dead even. No vacuum leaks, no codes, new O2s, no wiring issues, and no exhaust leaks. I don't really see this as an issue. They both lock at 0% at WOT.

With the PE table changes I've gotten my high RPM (WOT) O2 values to .920mv at the richest (start of WOT), leaning to .898mv by 63-6400rpm (shift point).

No KR during WOT runs, but did get some KR (as high as 4.0* for a split second) during slow acceleration under TC lock-up on the expressway at about 55-60mph and under 2800 rpm. It only happened twice, both around the same speed/rpm, but the second occurance was only about 1.5*. Since it was at such a low rpm, and none was observed during WOT I think I can ignore it, correct?

As for the last of my TM being finally gone ( ), the car charges right through the upshifts now like the old days before we had TM in performance cars I have yet to touch my timing tables, so I was seeing full stock timing (27.5*) before the WOT upshift, and right through and after the WOT upshift.

So how's that look? Opinions? Suggestions? Comments? Insults?
Old 03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Anyone? Anything?

Just wondering if this all looks OK to most.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car ramps from 25degrees at like 4600 to 30.5 @ 6089 (When it seems to be shifting) with 0 KR at WOT. I do have the dip to 0 degrees at shift, thought i can't really feel it, or more likely i've never felt the diffy of having TQ mgmt completely wiped. Maybe you should try more top end timing if theres no KR?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by samz28
my car ramps from 25degrees at like 4600 to 30.5 @ 6089 (When it seems to be shifting) with 0 KR at WOT. I do have the dip to 0 degrees at shift, thought i can't really feel it, or more likely i've never felt the diffy of having TQ mgmt completely wiped. Maybe you should try more top end timing if theres no KR?
Thanks for the response.

I was really able to feel the effects of TM. Ever since my TC went in 3+ years ago, it's been an issue, falling down pretty hard for a moment after the upshifts. I pulled out about half of the TM a couple years back, but it was still noticeable and I didn't really like it. I could live with some of it I guess, but I'm not really sure it's necessary with a fully built trans. Many people put a lot more power than me through FLP trans' without issue (big cubes, spraying through shifts, etc.), so I'd really like to leave all the TM out.

Anyone have an issue removing TM completely on a [well] built trans when making ~350rwhp and NA? Keep in mind I'm running a rather soft hitting TC (SY3500, 1.61 STR). Also, my trans temps on a-tap never went over 176* even after about 15 WOT runs to log data.

You are probably right about adding more timing at WOT. My tables were set stock to 27.5* max and I'm seeing the full amount of it, so that's a good start (meaning no KR). I would like to wait though until summer to start adding timing. All the current testing was done on a 35-40* night with engine temps of 192-198*, but come summer the car will see regular 80*+ outside temps and engine temps as high as 210*. So even if I can get it up to 30*+ under the current conditions without knock, that might not be the case come summer time.

I had my PE table at 95% to start, but that was getting me O2s as lean as .890 at peak. I know that's a perfect number, but again we all know the factory O2s aren't exactly accurate and it was rather cold outside so I added that extra 1% back just to be safe. Maybe I'll try pusing it back to .890 come summer and add some timing and see what happens.

How far have other's gone in the hot summer weather for timing and O2 values without KR? And what were your engine temps?

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-07-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Any other comments or evaluations?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be able to scale the timing based on intake/coolant temps? Throw it up to 30 now then take out some timing as it gets hot (iat/ect) to push it back some? Makes sense to me.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by samz28
you should be able to scale the timing based on intake/coolant temps? Throw it up to 30 now then take out some timing as it gets hot (iat/ect) to push it back some? Makes sense to me.
As I have not touched my timing tables yet, I was not aware I could do that? Seems like the perfect compromise. I guess I should have read more about tuning for timing, eh? Question though, I'm working with an old version of Edit (v1.05), was it avalibile in all versions? Or is that new?

Thanks.