Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband test pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband test pipe ?

This question actually stems from me wanting to tune the carb on my HD Sportster. I've got a wideband system in my Cutlass (in sig) that is just sitting right now and I want to "borrow it" for the bike.

I do not want to blow a hole and put a bung on my nice shiny chrome 2 into 1 exhaust, soooo... I want to share an idea I had with you guys that might know more than me about widebands and dyno testing with sniffers etc.

First, here's a pic of the exhaust for reference..

Concept: Take a pipe that will fit inside the muffler and slide all the way up to the collector, leaving a length of a foot or two sticking out the back of the muffler to collect exhaust gas from the collector area. Then weld a bung on that pipe right at the end of the muffler for the WBo2 sensor. Obviously support the pipe and make it reliable for testing while riding.

Will this provide a good sample of exhaust gas to get accurate results? I read about exhaust leaks throwing off the readings but in this case there will be no exhaust leaks pulling air into the system, obviously the test pipe fitment in the muffler will allow air to pass around it and out the muffler. What do you think?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that will work just fine.

Exhaust leaks do not throw off readings. The sensor is reading a ratio of exhaust gasses. Not an AMOUNT of exhaust gasses. Unless fresh air was getting sucked INTO the exhaust, (Which I doubt would happen unless it was a MASSIVE leak) then it would not matter if there was a leak or not.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive the software for 2001+ efi bikes this is the deal i havent used this yet but was going to make one up http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/d...aust_probe.htm
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like this?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=lmr