Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapting AEM LS1 ECU in different vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapting AEM LS1 ECU in different vehicle

I am pretty sure it will work but I still want opinions before I do it. I want to run a AEM unit on my 56 chevy twin turbo BBC setup and I don't want to spend 2000+ for a universal v8 unit w/ harness. My buddy told me to go with a 99-02 LS1 AEM standalone ( AEM-30-1220 ) and run a GM harness and everything will work and I can even get it to control my trans at the same time.

I am running the AEM BBC EPM for a distributor with optical cam/crank sensors and 8 GM coils off a avalanche on my setup. My biggest issue with the LS style standalone is if it will work with my EPM and if I can change the firing order around. If it will, I'm golden. I went with a 92MM LS1 TB as well so I'll have a built in TPS and IAC which is nice to have. I feel good about adapting the standlone to my setup as long as it will sync with my cam/crank signals from the EPM and allow me to change a few other settings to match my big block..

Can anyone tell me for sure this setup will work? I assume I can change things like firing order, injector size, etc in the software? I've never worked with AEM before, I'm used to megasquirt 3 where I can change anything I want in the software and I'm hoping AEM is the same way.

Last edited by nesluopetan; 05-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Teching In

i would ask on aemforums but they will never approve my registration for some damn reason. I've tried 3 times and it always says mods need to approve it before I can post and they never approve it. If the firing order is set in the software I can always re-wire the injector clips and coils to match my big blocks firing order but I will need to be able to change the tooth counts around for the crank/cam signals and this is what I'm not sure about. Will it give me the option to do this or is it going to lock these features out and only allow the standard LS wheel/tooth counts? I'm trying to figure out if the 99-02 aem system will allow you to customize these settings or if they are factory set and that's it.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Let me know what find out because I am wanting to convert my BBC to LS1 fuel injection also.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Also how are you attaching the TB to your intake?

Quick Reply: Adapting AEM LS1 ECU in different vehicle