Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing P0103 code at track...need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwing P0103 code at track...need help

Ok, I bought this car a little over a month ago and it's been to the track twice since. Both times I went the first runs I made were fine, no SES. but on the 2nd run the SES lights up on the 2-3 shift and its the P0103. I see significant MPH losses at the top end due to this crap, to the tune of 105-106 traps dropping down to 103-104 traps.

I did a search on here and read that there was a reflash available for the problem, because apparently alot of 98's have it. So I went to the dealer this morning, and they told me it was a "hard code" and that a reflash wouldnt do anything. They said "something needed to be replaced." Of course they didn't know what and said they'd have to do alot of tests to find out. They even mentioned valves and possibly pulling the motor. I told them not to do anything and I took my car.

Is there a chance that my maf is bad or anything else? Where do I go from here?
Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

P0103 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit High Frequency

I do not see how tearing an engine apart or pulling your engine will help diagnos a MAF problem. Has this code happened once or did it happen both times on your second run? Do you have a K&N filter? There have been cases of the K&N being over oiled and allowing oil to collect on the MAF wires. Over time grime can build up and foul up readings. You might start troubleshooting from there.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, the 98's need a reflash of the PCM or you can change the High MAF Fail frequency value with LS1-Edit.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
P0103 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit High Frequency

I do not see how tearing an engine apart or pulling your engine will help diagnos a MAF problem. Has this code happened once or did it happen both times on your second run? Do you have a K&N filter? There have been cases of the K&N being over oiled and allowing oil to collect on the MAF wires. Over time grime can build up and foul up readings. You might start troubleshooting from there.
Both times to the track it happened on the 2nd run. I don't have a K&N, its the stock intake with a paper filter.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Teching In

my friend had a 98 car with mods done same thing,we found blowed fuse u mite want to check there 2