PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Ltrims after a head and cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What are the Ltrims after a head and cam install?

I'm trying to figure out if my MAF is bad.

After you install a head & cam package on a M6 car, about what should the Ltrims be at with no tuning?

I am seeing between +10 - +17 for the average when driving around and they 'lock' at around +4 at WOT. I went to the trouble of putting my stock MAF ends with the screen still in it back on the car to get these readings.

I know how to adjust to lower the Ltrims (IFR Table) but just need to know if these numbers are correct for a completly stock MAF with heads & cam.

Cam specs are - 230 230 .575 .575 114 lsa (Custom TR Cam)

Thanks in advance guys...

Bill
Old 04-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those numbers actually sound pretty good after a head cam swap. as long as the maf is reading and reacting properly i would trust it. maybe spray it with a little brake cleaner if your worried (be careful). inspect the three variable resistors for contaminants and insure they are intact at both ends. if all looks good i would trust the maf. what are your trims at idle? 25? whats the maf read at idle? 1.1-1.4?
Old 04-04-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I put the stock ends back on, I cleaned the MAF with alcohol and Q-Tips, VERY carefully and then after it dried, I sprayed it with CRC Electrical Contact cleaner.

The Ltrims get close to +17 - +21 at idle, but I've heard, that you can't always trust it on a cammed car at idle.

The maf at idle (850 rpms) reads about 1.2 lbs/min I think...
Old 04-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those numbers at idle sound great. i would imagine your maf is fine.

P.S. the reason you "cant trust" a cammed engine at idle is because of valve overlap of a radical cam. exdended valve overlap allows unused o2 molecules to travel down the exhast stream. this causes the o2 sensors to relay a lean condition to the pcm. which intern jacks the fuel trims through the roof. unfortunately the only fix for that is to up the idle.