Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic EFI Live questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Basic EFI Live questions

Wel i finally decided to try to tune my own car.I picked up a used V1. I've been reading non stop and I'm pretty excited about it. i've used the search on here and the Efi Live forum but i'm not getting the answers to a couple basic questions.

1) what are the minimum computer requirements for efi live? i have an older HP laptop that runs on Vista

2) Is there any particular brand on wideband that will work better with V1?

3) Do you use a license to scan and log a car or only to alter the tune?

Thanks for any help and i'm sure i'l be posting alot more in here
Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

See page 19 in the help manual for answers to #1.
We use Innovate WB products.
Scan and download is free. License required to upload tunes.
Not sure about V1, we use V2. But, 98 pcms are free tuning.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm going to have to download the manual, it didn't come with the cable. thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only disadvantage to using the V1 (vice V2) is that you cannot use a serial wideband, which is much better than analog input. Analog works, but you have to make sure there are no grounding issues - basically compare the reading on the actual wideband to what is logged in the scan when you start logging.

I use an Innovate LM2 myself...

If you download the latest software from EFILive's website, the manuals are under the help button.

Let me know if you need any help... Also, there are a bunch of tutorials out there.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
The only disadvantage to using the V1 (vice V2) is that you cannot use a serial wideband, which is much better than analog input. Analog works, but you have to make sure there are no grounding issues - basically compare the reading on the actual wideband to what is logged in the scan when you start logging.

I use an Innovate LM2 myself...

If you download the latest software from EFILive's website, the manuals are under the help button.

Let me know if you need any help... Also, there are a bunch of tutorials out there.
thanks man i'm sure i'm going to need lots of help. i'm reading the tutorials but i'm sure i'll need guidance along the way. i figure if i can't pick it up atleast i can have a good tuner do it remotely
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outkast6991
thanks man i'm sure i'm going to need lots of help. i'm reading the tutorials but i'm sure i'll need guidance along the way. i figure if i can't pick it up atleast i can have a good tuner do it remotely

No problem. Learn how to set up maps and pids in the scan tool. Get a wideband and get that set up. Read your tune and look through it just to learn where things are. Learn the basics of how the sensors and fuel injection system in general operate.

Maybe we could plan a day in the future when you could come down and we could go over some stuff - easier to learn by doing sometimes. My schedule is tight with a toddler and another baby coming in Oct, but I'm sure we could do it at some point...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man. I'd love to get some pointers in person. I'm reading everything I can find. Some of the terminology is eluding me but I'll get it eventually I hope. I'll get the wb setup and pull the tune to learn my way around. One thing I haven't found an answer to is if efi live will run on vista? My laptop meets the requirements but it doesn't list vista or 7 as op systems. May send an email to tech if I don't find an answer
Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

V1 Works fine on my Vista laptop...............

Bird
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Install V7 build 211 from the downloads page at the EFILive website;

then read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's, there are many interesting features, then start logging and getting comfortable with the scantool.

whatever wideband you have can be made to work with V1 (by creating a calc pid if needed).

There's some reading material on the EFILive forum that will help.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, EFILive will run on Vista, Win7, Win8, WinXP, ...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
Install V7 build 211 from the downloads page at the EFILive website;

then read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's, there are many interesting features, then start logging and getting comfortable with the scantool.

whatever wideband you have can be made to work with V1 (by creating a calc pid if needed).

There's some reading material on the EFILive forum that will help.
Thanks Joecar! I've been playing with the software and using the interactive tutorials. I'm also spending alot of time on the EFI forum reading all i can. The user manuals have much more info in them than i expected
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I have 6 laptops and 2 or really old, efi works fine on all of them. I never worry about the processor speed, Im more concerned with battery life. I slow most of my laptops down to 50% to help battery life.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm around 2 hours of battery life while running the software. I figure I'll either grab a car charger or a new battery at some point

Quick Reply: Basic EFI Live questions