Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie: Need Help Diagnosing Miss

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: Need Help Diagnosing Miss

Hey guys, I know this is a newbie question, but i thought it would be more appropriate here. I bought my 2002 M6 WS6 last October. A few months after I bought it, it started acting like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. When I would be cruising in like say fifth or sixth at about 45-50 and I would floor it, the thing would shudder and backfire. As time continued, it got worse and worse, and now it will even do it in third under moderate throttle. My first instinct was plugs or wires, but I had them replaced and the problem persists. The car shows no SES. My only thought is it must be a bad coil. I really don't have much time to take my car to a mechanic right now, and I'd rather replace a coil if that's what it is. Before I go out and buy a new coil, could it be anything else that I'm not thinking of?
Thanks in advance.
-2002 WS6 with 87k miles.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

What is your fuel pressure? New fuel filter?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

foot brake it and idle it up and see if it misses then.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Foot brake it? It's a manual I don't think that would work?? I don't know the fuel pressure, and I have never replaced the fuel filter. In the lower gears, or revving in neutral, you can't notice the miss ( or at least I can't) . But if you're going 30 in third and punch it, it will backfire and shudder before taking off. If you're going 55 in 5th or sixth and floor it, it will do the same. This does sound like a missfire, no?