PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert my 02 C5 over to SDT 3 bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert my 02 C5 over to SDT 3 bar?

I've got an 02 C5 Vette that i'm swapping engines & going forced induction on E85 possibly up to 20psi boost.
Everyone tells me to keep my GM computer & convert it to a 3 bar map sensor, install a IAT sensor, remove the maf and go Speed density tune...... does this sound correct?

I'm 100% new to the 2/2.5/3 bar and speed density tune stuff so any help is appreciated.

If so can you get me a list of stuff i'll need to make this conversion? and best place to get it.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That is exactly what I did for the 408 turbo conversion in my '69 Nova. You could order some aluminum 3" tubing with a mandrel bend (probably a 45 degree would work) and some 3" silicon couplers to connect from the intercooler to the throttle body from racepartssolutions.com. Then weld in a 3/8" NPT fitting for the thread-in IAT sensor. Pickup the IAT sensor from O-Reillys for a 90 GMC cyclone. Whoever does your tuning will need to add the 3-bar enhanced operating system (will cost you another $50 credit for HP Tuners). You will need a new wiring pigtail for the IAT. I bought one off Ebay for my Nova and one from the local GM dealership for a '98 Corvette that I was recently working.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, thats what I thought but wanted to hear from someone that has done it. I've read that you use the purple & tan wires from the original MAF plug to go into the IAT right? does it matter what wire goes to which terminal? What about placement of the IAT?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been so long ago that I re-wired my harness I can't remember wire colors anymore. I located the IAT sensor between the intercooler and the throttle body. Actually just drilled a hole in my carb hat (I use an Accufab 4150 throttle body) and tapped it for 3/8" NPT. Then screwed the IAT directly into the carb hat. It was thick enough to not need a bung.

Quick Reply: Convert my 02 C5 over to SDT 3 bar?