Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird PCM question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird PCM question

About 3 months ago I bought a motor for an engine swap. It was supposed to be an 06 L33 with 26k. The motor came with a hacked up wiring harness and a PCM. Just a few days ago, I picked up a 02 Z28 donor car that runs and drives.

So here is my question: Can I simply plug the PCM I got with the L33 into the 02 Z28 wiring harness to read mileage or anything else thru the diagnostic port? And will doing so cause any damage to the donor car when I plug its PCM back in?

If there is a better way to read the L33 PCM ????

Since the LS1 in the z28 has over 100k and is rated at the same HP as the L33, I'm trying to determine which would be better for my swap. Hope that all makes sense.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are both PCMs the same shape? Are the 06 harness plugs green/blue?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure... I imagine that since your asking that must be an indicator of compatibility? I can check to find out? Besides doing a PCM swap, is there another way to examine the data on the L33 PCM? Can I plug it to a reader directly?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The wiring harnesses are almost identical so you could plug it in like you say.

What are you going to read it with? You need something that will read the vehicle that the PCM came out of. And the mileage is not stored in the PCM, the only good reading the PCM will do you is give you access to the donor vehicles VIN which you can research on your states vin search (if thats available) or run a carfax on it. Thats assuming they gave you the matching PCM. You should be able to find the last several digits of the vin stamped on the engine somewhere to see if they match.

Quick Reply: Weird PCM question