Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car started hesitating bad after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car started hesitating bad after clutch install

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 2000 trans am with some mods done and had to replace the clutch. I did it myself and all seemed to go well. After putting everything back together and re connecting the battery I start the car and it immediately dies. So I start it again and give it gas and take it for a spin. The car hesitates really bad when pressing the pedal about half way but when I floor it seems to do better and accelerate without any hiccups. I also noticed when Im cruising and let it go to neutral, my idle goes up and down like its pulsating.

At first I checked the 02s and it looked like I may have plugged in one of the fronts to the back 02 harness. So I made sure the two front 02s were plugged in to the front plugs and even bought new 02s. Denso brand. I reset the ecu a few times already and nothing seems to help. I dont know if it is an exhaust leak because I have a TSP true duals that end at my rear wheels and dump at the floor. The car exhaust note seems different now and it feels like the car shakes more even when not hesitating. I hooked it up to a scanner and looked at the graphs of the o2s and they are working nicely. Voltages go up to .900 millivolts and both switch nice and fast. There are no fault codes all though my car does have a tune. I am stuck and dont know what else to check. All my wiring down there seems fine. The car worked perfectly before the clutch install so I had to have ruined something but I dont know what. Please point me in the right direction.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you forget to plug something back in or did something come disconnected without you knowing?Check all sensor connections and check all vacuum lines it could be something simple.I also heard if you have an exhaust leak close to the 02's that it will cause the motor to run bad.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they remove the grounds on the back of the cly heads?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. The only things I unplugged were the plugs on the sides of the tranny and 02s. I checked the wiring again and made sure it was all clicked into place. All the wiring down there looks good. I did not remove the grounds from the back of the cylinder heads. Do people remove those to replace the clutch?

Update: So I unplugged the maf and surprise surprise the car drives awesome. So I took the maf out and sprayed it 5 to 6 times with CRC. Im thinking I should have sprayed it more but it looked like I got it everywhere there. So after plugging it back in and resetting the ecu I take the car out. The hesitation is still there. It seems like it starts at 2k RPM and ends at 4k rpm then surges forward a bit. Also in WOT there is no hesitation. Another weird thing is that the hesitation is much better now, its much less noticeable.

Is my maf going bad?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm possibly. So all problems are gone when you unplug it? If so, just replace it.

Quick Reply: Car started hesitating bad after clutch install