PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of larger intercooler on VE and AFR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effects of larger intercooler on VE and AFR?

This is more of a theroretical question. Running 7psi on a stock LS1 with 3.5" ICs, assuming the 4.5" would have a slightly less pressure drop and corresponding lower IATs and more density. I would think that the AFR would be now leaner and the STFTs would be adding fuel to compensate? That said, would a retune be required cause the VE would be off? Or, would this only be under certain conditions and the MAF would simply take care of it?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
This is more of a theroretical question. Running 7psi on a stock LS1 with 3.5" ICs, assuming the 4.5" would have a slightly less pressure drop and corresponding lower IATs and more density. I would think that the AFR would be now leaner and the STFTs would be adding fuel to compensate? That said, would a retune be required cause the VE would be off? Or, would this only be under certain conditions and the MAF would simply take care of it?
MAF and VE (SD) are two seperate entities. Are you running MAF or Speed Density?

A larger IC should result in less pressure drop and lower IATs which should cause it to run leaner. Trims will only take care of the correction during part throttle, closed loop operation. WOT will need to be dialed in.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Running MAF, it will be the P1SC-1 kit, but with the larger ICs. I was thinking the VE would have to be adjusted at WOT as well? But pretty sure the MAF does the majority of the fueling because it is always measuring the air. Procharger says no issues but they have never tested with the 4.5 ICs. I know it will have to be checked, just trying to understand what to expect?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to use the MAF, it does all the fueling over 4 grand, plus the VE isn't going to register anything over atmoshperic pressure anyways.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Really, that's good to know, thanks! I was told this is how the tune works and was concerned that it may be lean up top with the larger ICs? I will get their tuned checked, supposed to be safe and is 50 State Carb legal so shouldn't be overly rich? I assume its conservative with the timing to accommodate different vehicles and altitudes?

Quick Reply: Effects of larger intercooler on VE and AFR?