Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie question

Guys, Im doing an LQ9 swap into a Chevelle and am really thinking about getting Hp tuners and doing the tuning myself. I downloaded the demo version and have been playing around with it just to see what it looks like. My setup will have a cam and headers with the pcm and injectors off of a 5.3 flex fuel and drive by cable throttle body. I do have a wide band in another car that I will use for tuning and have access to a dyno. I consider myself computer savy and work with industrial controls for a living. My question is should it start and run with the stock 5.3 flex fuel tune? Will I need to make allot of changes to get it right? Is it too difficult to learn? Can I get similar tunes from other ppl on hp tuners website?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Where did you find a demo version? On their website?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

It was on here some where. I was reading through some post and there was a link in a vendors post.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

If the injectors are the ones from that pcm then you will be good. If they are different you need to change the injector data to match the new injectors or you could wash the cylinders down with gas. You also need to disable vats. You will need to do a lot of reading and studying other tunes to learn. Hp tuners is not something you learn overnight.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

My PCM is from the same truck as the injectors so I should be good there. I have managed to get my hands on a few different tunes and have been comparing them and doing tons of reading. I feel like I can get it done but am a little nervous about it. I am the kind of person who takes pride in doing things myself and feel like that's what makes hotrodding fun.

Quick Reply: Newbie question