Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scanning MAF and VE

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scanning MAF and VE

I have ls1 and 6 speed, does anybody know if its possible to setup the HP tuners scanner to check weather its using VE or MAFF for fuelling? I want to scan what the PCM is using in real time? Thanks, hope that makes sence
Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there is nothing in the pcm that outputs any kind of a sign of whether it is using MAF/VE or a blend....

however, you can tell if its in Speed Density or not.
if you have MAF codes P0101/P0102/P0103...you are in Speed Density...
otherwise, it is using the MAF

you can see the parameters of what is considered steady state(MAF use) and what is not.
look under your dynamic airflow tab, and you will see all the values that define how and when its using the MAF/VE tables.

one simple variable can put it into MAF only mode should you want to be 100% MAF all the time with no VE... there is a value called High RPM Disable...typically set to 4000 rpm from the factory on a 98-02 Fbody....basically above that value the car is 100% MAF no matter what...so you can set it to a really low value and be in 100% MAF mode if you desire.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Iam trying to get it to use maff/ve only down low rpm and ve only at high rpm, so i maxed out the 4000rpm limit, and set the state threshold too 2200rpm and set high rpm map and tps too zero throttle responce feels much better so iam assuming its using ve over 2200 rpm
Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 PM
8 Second Club

Post your tune...
Can't really understand what you are saying..too many words that are not worded correctly in terms of the tune.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jacktuner
Iam trying to get it to use maff/ve only down low rpm and ve only at high rpm, so i maxed out the 4000rpm limit, and set the state threshold too 2200rpm and set high rpm map and tps too zero throttle responce feels much better so iam assuming its using ve over 2200 rpm

Originally Posted by PM From JackTuner

I'll try and explain to you in point form what adjustments I have made:
-Dynamic airflow,High RPM disable- i maxed out to 12,800 rpm so it wouldn't use MAF, so it should be speed density.
-Steady state, High MAP delta set to zero
-Steady state, High TPS delta set to zero

Zeroing out the high RPM and high MAP deltas should make it go speed density

Steady state, Hi/Lo RPM threshold is set to 2200 RPM so it should use VE/MAF below 2200 RPM.

My reasons for doing this is from my understanding the MAF will be better for driveability below 2200 rpm, and I get better throttle response above 2200 rpm, I have run speed density on this vehicle and I fine throttle responce is much better in the high rpm range.

thank you for your help.... Regards John

for the most part, that is correct...
if you want to do it in the dynamic airflow section
if you want to be 100% Speed Density you should set
High RPM Disable to a Higher value than you will hit (12800)
Low Map Delta = 0
High Map Delta = 0
Low TPS Delta = 0
High TPS Delta = 0
Idle Map Integ Threshold = 0
Idle TPS Max = 0
Idle Map Threshold Enable = 0

But honestly, that is the hard way...
and MAF is never better for drivability below 2200...its just not the way a MAF works..Air Reversion from Cam overlap always screws with your MAF...
its the reason why the factory defaults to a steady state/non-steady state depending on all of those variables...and honestly, its much easier to tune and more stable to ditch the MAF down low.(MAF is basically useless unless you are at steady state)

otherwise, its much easier to just set MAF Fail Frequency to 0 and disable SES on P0101, P0102, P0103

also, I realize you are trying to do a MAF/VE combo below 2200 RPM... I'm just trying to discourage that as its not the smartest thing to do
Old 12-27-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=soundengineer;17907493]for the most part, that is correct...
if you want to do it in the dynamic airflow section
if you want to be 100% Speed Density you should set
High RPM Disable to a Higher value than you will hit (12800)
Low Map Delta = 0
High Map Delta = 0
Low TPS Delta = 0
High TPS Delta = 0
Idle Map Integ Threshold = 0
Idle TPS Max = 0
Idle Map Threshold Enable = 0

But honestly, that is the hard way...
and MAF is never better for drivability below 2200...its just not the way a MAF works..Air Reversion from Cam overlap always screws with your MAF...
its the reason why the factory defaults to a steady state/non-steady state depending on all of those variables...and honestly, its much easier to tune and more stable to ditch the MAF down low.(MAF is basically useless unless you are at steady state)

otherwise, its much easier to just set MAF Fail Frequency to 0 and disable SES on P0101, P0102, P0103

also, I realize you are trying to do a MAF/VE combo below 2200 RPM... I'm just trying to discourage that as its not the smartest thing to
I removed maf today and changed it back to speed density, has now lost smoothness and throttle response below 2000rpm, i will reinstall maf again soon
Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jacktuner

I removed maf today and changed it back to speed density, has now lost smoothness and throttle response below 2000rpm, i will reinstall maf again soon
if it has lost that when you disable the MAF, then you need to tune your VE table again....

I have never had any issue with the lower rpm...and its usually putting it into speed density that makes for better throttle response down low...

I assure you...your lack of throttle response down low is all just a tuning issue.

Quick Reply: Scanning MAF and VE