Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

less whp without dyno fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default less whp without dyno fan

Hi . I have dynod a 99 camro cam only on a dyno dynamics and it put down with the fan on and got a 399 whp . That day temp was about 77 . Few monthes later I dynoed it with out the dyno fan on same modes and temp was about 68 degree and it droped to 345. Same tune same modes sothing added to the car even fuel air ratio was right the same way when I ran it 2 monthes ago .. so could it have been the dyno fan not working caused this drop .
Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If the cooling fan was not used, the engine will run hotter. That can allow detonation, which will pull timing and add fuel, which can cost you power.

On any given day, you'll get different numbers from the same car and same dyno. Normal and expected variance.

But you lost almost 55hp, 14%. That's a lot. I'd be looking for something going wrong. How do the spark plugs look?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you save the logs on both runs? If so look at the IATs during the runs. Even still that sounds like a huge drop off. I'm going with leak down and compression test
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run it again and check for knock retard.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
I'd run it again and check for knock retard.
No I didn't take the log nore I checked the plugs . On first run it made 360 . And on the second it dropped to 245 . At the same day we ran a t67 supra and it made 368 but it had traction issue and on the second it dropped to 350 then we waited for 30 mints for it to cool and re run it and and it went to 389 I guess I would check the pluggs and try a run with fans on plus I still think ambiant air and engine performance are the issue I'll try to run it again with new plugs this week cause tge plugs are about nine months old but I dont drive the car much
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like it could be a fueling issue. Pull the plugs and see if they look lean, and if so, it's probably pulling timing.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
That sounds like it could be a fueling issue. Pull the plugs and see if they look lean, and if so, it's probably pulling timing.
Checked the plugs they look perfect and like I said the fuel air ratio seems fine . Engine compression also was fine .. no exhast leak . So wouldn't u guys think its the fan that caused the drop of whp . I would realy like to find out. I will fix the fan and re run the dyno again

Quick Reply: less whp without dyno fan