Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird HOT bank issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird HOT bank issue

Just got my swap started for the first time with the holley hp efi. I don't have any accessories on it, and don't have the O2 sensor hooked up. Just started it to make sure all my wiring was ok and it was going to take off. Sounds good, loud as hell (open up and foreward manifolds), let it run for spurts of about 10-15 seconds. All the learn functions are turned off. The right manifold (passenger side) is getting HOT as hell! boiling off my paint (cheap paint) in a matter of those few seconds. the driver side is just mildly warm (more what i'd expect for the run time involved). At idle it puffs a little black smoke out the HOT (pass side) manifold. when revved a little, nothing.

01 5.3
hp efi
Hi ram
holley 120's
230/236 114+4 (BTR stage 3 turbo)

all the injectors are hooked up in the correct order.

I got the coils from the scrap yard, would it matter if both where from the driver or passenger side? just brainstorming...

help?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the spark plug gap?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

all at .040. just put them in fresh
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

its the whole damn head that's getting hot, even heating the lower portion of the intake and fuel rail...

and after its shut off if you open the throttle blade there's some vapor that comes out of the intake.

i'm really lost here... sounds like there's a bit of a miss as well when its revved a bit and all the manifold tubes are either hot (on passenger) or coolish (may be too cool.... you can lay your hand on them all on driver side, after 15 or so seconds). I'm efi retarded, still trying to figure out how to get the data log to work. got it to work but didnt save once before my battery got to low (no alt)...
Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Did you find out the problem? i have just the same problem...
Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"I got the coils from the scrap yard, would it matter if both where from the driver or passenger side? just brainstorming."
Start there. Main harness to the coil plugs backwards?
Look at the color codes on the main harness plugs, to be sure you don't have them crossed.

Quick Reply: Weird HOT bank issue