PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General rough running/programming questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General rough running/programming questions.

Hi,

I hope I am posting in the correct section.

I am helping a friend who did an LY6 swap from an '08 Silverado into a '56 Bel Air. He has the stock ECM, and PSI aftermarket harness. The engine is stock except for Sanders headers and a very short intake with a cone K&N. The ECM was sent to someone who may or may not be well known named Ed Wright for programming. What changes were made, I am not sure.

I have a lot of experience tuning engines using Megasquirt, but I have a few questions about ECM programming for this stock ECM.

First, the ECM is generating a code for low oil pressure. The PSI harness does not have a connector or any wires for the oil pressure sender, so it is not connected. The engine seems to be down on power and the rev limit engages at about 4k RPM, would the oil code cause this?

If we find someone to program the ECU, is it possible to turn off oil pressure monitoring?

I have high hopes that the code and drive-ability issues are related. Oil pressure is good by the way, verified with an aftermarket gauge.

I had a few other questions, but I think I found the answers.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I could look up on Alldata and see what actions are taken when the code sets but you don't give the code number.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Well I could look up on Alldata and see what actions are taken when the code sets but you don't give the code number.
Hi 2xLS1,

Sorry, I forgot the number:

P0522
Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Voltage

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Justin
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you are using an E38 ECM, if so, I think that computer requires the oil pressure from the engine. I have a speartech harness and it included the oil pressure as part of the harness. You could always turn the codes off in the tune, but I wouldn't recommend doing that until you verify whether or not it is required by the computer.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
I'm assuming you are using an E38 ECM, if so, I think that computer requires the oil pressure from the engine. I have a speartech harness and it included the oil pressure as part of the harness. You could always turn the codes off in the tune, but I wouldn't recommend doing that until you verify whether or not it is required by the computer.
Hi Hart_Rod,

I was going to ask why it would "need" to know oil pressure, but after thinking about it for a minute, it makes sense with the variable valve control. I am not sure on this engine, but others I have worked on use oil pressure to vary the cam timing.

I don't have access to the car at the moment, but it does look like the E38 from pictures I found online.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P0522
•The ECM detects that the EOP sensor signal circuit is less than 0.1 volt.
•The above condition is present for greater than 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
•The ECM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostics test fails. The ECM displays this information in the Failure Records on the scan tool.
•The IPC illuminates the EOP indicator.

I would say by this that it has no effect on engine operation or reduced power mode. And yes, any tuner should be able to turn off that DTC in the calibration.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
P0522
•The ECM detects that the EOP sensor signal circuit is less than 0.1 volt.
•The above condition is present for greater than 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
•The ECM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostics test fails. The ECM displays this information in the Failure Records on the scan tool.
•The IPC illuminates the EOP indicator.

I would say by this that it has no effect on engine operation or reduced power mode. And yes, any tuner should be able to turn off that DTC in the calibration.
Thanks for the help, that is just what I needed.

I guess I need to keep digging to try and figure out why the rev limiter is kicking in at 4k RPM.

Thanks again,
Justin

Quick Reply: General rough running/programming questions.