Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default PCM Woes...

Lost MAP circuit on one PCM & CKP circuit on another. Would swap to Carb if it wasn't so expensive to do so. Am ranting, but am tired of losing time w/ the car while waiting for PCM repairs.

Sent the MAP circuit failed PCM to A1-Cardone for repair & it came back w/ the wrong OS loaded & MAP circuit wasn't repaired. If they had had a core PCM we would have just swapped ours for the core, but they had none. For this reason we had to send ours in for repair. Sent the PCM back to them a second time w/ specific instructions. We really should not have explain the issues if they are truly capable of repairing a PCM.

Specifically, they loaded a 19980200 OS which is for a 98 Corvette instead of the correct 19980100 OS for a 98 Camaro SS. We included the VIN, as well. Had to swap our tune onto a 19980200 OS in order to use it; then found the same MAP circuit issue existed within the PCM. Yes, a 19980200 OS will work for a 98 Camaro, but moving tunes from a 19980100 OS to a 19980200 OS is a PITA & should not have been required.

Frustrated & hoping that it come back correctly this time.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have just bought a new PCM. I see this all the time at the shop and others do as well....reman PCM's are crap, for one reason or another.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

I have seen the same as issues with the reman units as nvscott5 stated.

I know its a pain in the *** but if your having that many PCM problems, I would re-wire for the newer set up and run a 411 PCM as there so much more abundant.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nvscott5
I would have just bought a new PCM. I see this all the time at the shop and others do as well....reman PCM's are crap, for one reason or another.
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I have seen the same as issues with the reman units as nvscott5 stated.

I know its a pain in the *** but if your having that many PCM problems, I would re-wire for the newer set up and run a 411 PCM as there so much more abundant.

Thing that upsets me is that it's not one of their reman. cores. It was my PCM that was supposed to have been fixed. A1Cardone had no explanation & actually argued against loading the incorrect OS & not repairing the circuit even though I can prove it...unbelievable. So, we are @ least getting a refund. Trouble is that this weekend is a huge car weekend for us & it doesn't look like we will have the PCM received in time.

By 411 am assuming that's a 99+ model; (I will look it up). This will require the additional cost of a license from EFI Live, as well. Guess it's time to bite the bullet & do it.

Thank-you for the comments. We always appreciate it.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Got an 0411 from the salvage yard. Just need to find pinouts.

Quick Reply: PCM Woes...