Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley hp with stock computer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default holley hp with stock computer?

Ok so I have settled on getting the holley hp efi for my 01 Camaro. Question is can I leave my stock computer in the car to control everything else like gauges and alternator? I just want the holley to control air/fuel and spark and mainly to data log. And will it hurt anything if I remove the parts of the harness that the holley will replace? Like injector wires and the wires going to all the sensors? I know I would have To keep the temp sensor and oil pressure sensor and just ad ones for the holley to read.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes....
I've done a piggy back on an LS and on a Mod motor now...its complicated..but you can do it if you take your time

you split the Crank sensor only (not the cam sensor)
the Holley gets both the Crank and the cam sensor signals

CRANK AND CAM SENSORS NEED A TWISTED AND SHIELDED PAIR OF WIRES!!

Oil pressure is straight to the gauge, so no need to even touch it, you need to add a 0-5v sensor for the Holley if you want to see oil pressure there
the stock water temp goes to the stock ECU, and you have to use the Holley water temp to go to the holley...
just leave the stock one in the stock location, and put the Holley one in the passenger side head(or any location of your choice)
Speedo comes from the transmission to the stock ecu, no need to change it

Both Vehicles I've done, we left the stock wiring in the engine bay, and just unpinned everything from the stock ECU that wasnt used and took it to the holley, we left the holley harness basically in tact and just cut off connectors
you let the Holley do all the 5v references and grounds for sensors
anything from the engine that gets 12v from the stock fuse box...keeps it... (injectors and coils get 12v from the fuse box..ECU applies grounds)
all the injectors get pinned into the holley in the appropriate holes, as well as the coil outputs.

the only ground you keep on the stock ECU is the Main power to keep the ECU powered up

its a slow process...take your time, make a list on paper of all the things you need to do and check them off as you go so you dont miss anything

Rule of thumb if you need to split a sensor to a gauge...
if it uses a 0-5v output, you can split it to multiple pieces
if it uses a resistance signal (signal is in Ohms) you cannot split it - you must get a 2nd sensor for these things

you can do the wires any way you want...pull the stock ones out, or leave them in and lay the holley over it or just use the stock wires and extend....
either way works...its up to you and how much work you want to do or how pretty you want it to look

take your time, use solder and heat shrink...not crimps
if you have to extend the o2 wires, they are the only ones that should be crimped...they actually must be crimped to extend...the o2 relies on the wires for part of its free air calibration and solder messes that up big time
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info...thats exactly what I was looking for

Quick Reply: holley hp with stock computer?