Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with basic HP Tuners Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob with basic HP Tuners Question

I am looking at purchasing Hp Tuners. I have a couple of GM cars a WS6 that has been dyno tuned and also a 2004 Silverado 1500 that is basically stock. I upgraded the diff gears from 3.42 to 4.11 in the truck and it is now getting ABS DTC C0238.

I am wondering how hard it would be for me a (noob) to start using HPT and update the gearing/tire size in the PCM. Would this eliminate the ABS DTC that I am now getting? Ultimately, I want to learn to tweak some other things for more horsepower/torque and transmission shifting etc for towing my camper.

Are there tunes in the repository for towing that I can look at for comparison to tweak my truck?

I believe there are some sponsors on the site that sell the software. Any opinions on which sponsor to purchase from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Lot of views but no replies. Don't we have some hptuner folks in this forum!

By the way the ABS DTC C0238 is WHEEL SPEED MISMATCH if that helps with my questions.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doing the gear ratio change with HPT is easy. And if you cant figure that out you probably shouldn't even try engine tuning. I believe HPT resellers are required to sell it for full retail although some offer things like free shipping or a starter tune from them with purchase.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my first from a reseller and got it a little cheaper. Had all credits and the interface was even still packaged.

The gearing/tire changes are probably the easiest thing you can do with the program. I have changed idle on my car and a couple small transmission changed but that's it. I bought the Greg Banish book on engine management systems and it's been great so far. Best pour chase anyone can make when trying to learn to tune.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses. I downloaded the demo and yes it looks pretty simple to make the gear changes.

Does anyone know about the tune repository? I don't know of a way to see what is out there without being able to login which requires an hptuner purchase?

I'm just curious if there is anything out there to look through for tunes on Silverado pickups.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Im pretty sure you have to have a login to view the repository I know thats the only way I have been able to view it.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Never a good idea to copy a tune from the repo but you can use it as a guide.

Quick Reply: Noob with basic HP Tuners Question