PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low and high octane timing tables

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low and high octane timing tables

I'm new to this forum and to the world of fuel injection and ls engines so please excuse me if I make a mistake. I recently swapped a 5.3l into my rock crawler and bought a jet dst tuner off of one of my buddy's for a deal I couldn't pass up. Before I bought the tuner I sent the jeep to a local tuner to get it running good and it came back running like crap sent it back to him and it came back slightly better. When I hooked up my jet tuner I noticed that he didn't do many of the things I asked him to do and also checked my timing tables and this is what I saw.

it just seems like the timing is really high. I don't really know what to look for in the gm/cyl column but I do understand timing and rpm. Everything I read says I should go over 30* at wot. But how do I know where wot is in that table. I'm currently having some break up at higher rpms at wot. The motor is completely stock. Running Th 400 trany. I live in south louisiana. Even if someone has a stock tune that I can copy or knows where I can find one that would be amazing. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOT airflow is typically around .60 to .72 g/cyl with stock heads and cam and goes up from there with aftermarket heads/cam/forced induction. Idle/off idle part throttle is typically .20 to .56 g/cyl. You need a data logging scanner to see where you are in the table at any given time, something you don't get with the JET DST. Where you are seeing really high timing values are areas you may hit under high rpm decel like when closing the throttle fast at high rpm.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Okay thank you so much. What's the best data logger to get?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something like HP Tuners. They sell their scanner separate, but for just a little more $$$ you can get their complete tuning suite with the scanner and tuner.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

2xls1 is right. I'm borrowing my buddies efilive hardware which is great, but much more expensive than hptuners.

If you just want to data log channels, you could get an elm327 Bluetooth obd dongle and log the channels you want through your android phone using the torque pro app.

For stock tunes, you can google "tune repository" and grab the tune for the original motor. How this helps.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Helps a bunch. Thank yall so much

Quick Reply: low and high octane timing tables