PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is HPTuners MPVI Pro more reliable the the old Serial?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is HPTuners MPVI Pro more reliable the the old Serial?

I'm getting close to having my car back together and decided to break out my old serial cable. Of course, I'm having a hell of a time getting it to recognize the interface is there again. I fought with this for days the last time I had it out, and it's happening again. I've searched their forums and gone through all the hoops, now I'm just tired of it.
So I have to ask, if I scrap the cable I spent $500 on and buy the next version for $650, is it closer to plug-n-play with Windows 7 64 bit or do people still have lots of problems getting them to connect initially? MPVI has been out for better than 5 years, right? Are the bugs ironed out?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The old serial cables are dead *** reliable when used with an older lap top that actually has a serial port. I still use mine all the time and it has never so much as hiccuped when flashing a pcm. The problems seem to be when using it with a usb to serial adapter. I also have the USB MPVI that I use on newer vehicles. I actually have more reliability problems with it, mainly with the scanner. I just wish they would have kept their promise and continued providing software updated for the serial cable. That was their original deal when they said they would stop support. That software updates would continue. You are pretty much stuck using V2.22 with it.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well crap.
I've messed with it for another half day and no luck. I think I'm gonna borrow back my old laptop and try a PCMCIA to serial adapter then. Hopefully that'll tell me if it's the computer or the cable.

I know when I plug in my USB to serial adapter, it shows up in the Device Manager on my PC, and drivers are up to date. It has a little LED on it that lights up after I plug it into the vehicles diagnostic port, so I'm sure it's getting something thru the interface box....

Either way, doesn't look like it'd be worth buying a new cable.

Thanks for your input
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

It works fine with my laptop with Win 7. Never had an issue.

Quick Reply: Is HPTuners MPVI Pro more reliable the the old Serial?