Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a new TPS - voltage range is different than stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Bought a new TPS - voltage range is different than stock

So my TPS was sort of wigging out and throwing me to 1-2% TPS, so I decided after 145k miles, a new one would be a good idea.

So I got one from AutoZone and it would never read less than .65V no matter what my old TPS read or how far down I closed the throttle blade. I would reset the TPS after swapping or adjusting and was reading through HPTuners.

I figured it was just junk, so I ordered an ACDelco replacement with the same part number as the one of the car. It won't read less than .71V no matter how far I close the blade.

The stock TPS still reads in the .4V to .7V if I pull the intake and watch the blade. I was hoping to knock out the TPS as an issue and see if my TB was actually opening up after extended driving once it got heat in it (it's a NW 102). It's hard to tell when you lose all the resolution from the new TPS.

Any ideas what to do? I'm thinking of setting the voltage ideally back to around .61V (where it was before) with the stock TPS and then running the new ACDelco part (as long as it reads 0% TPS regardless of the voltage) and just going with that.

Would that affect anything?

What could be causing these new parts to be so far off? The new TPS is the same Part Number but a different batch and the metal resistance area appears to be different than stock.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

What voltage range does it read if you remove it entirely from the TB and turn it by hand?
I had to drill a significant size hole in my 102mm TB blade to get the voltage below 0.5V.
I know that any reasonable voltage that re-learns to 0% should be OK, but like you I want everything in spec just to be sure the PCM is not confused.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I didn't try that. I set it up on two different TBs I had.

I have a hole drilled in the NW to get it around .6V before. But this is just reading it without the motor on via HPTuners. I can't get below the values posted above. Which are still within spec (barely) for 0% TPS. But I know a completely closed TB shouldn't be reading right at the very limit of the voltage range for 0% TPS. I have absolutely no wiggle room. Or I should say - I can open the blade until it reacches .65V and then it will read .67V etc. So it just doesn't "see it" below that point, which is aggravating when you're trying to dial it in, but I do have some adjustability there. It's weird.

Quick Reply: Bought a new TPS - voltage range is different than stock