Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby Engine ECM Selection Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby Engine ECM Selection Help Needed

I started out my swap collection thinking LS1 5.7L.

Found a 98 Camaro F-Body ECU and Harness.

Then got a good deal on an LQ4.

Here is the issue.

Colorado is ok with me using an Iron block. The Ref says when they plug me in, it must tell them the "car" is one that came with a 6.0. IE: GTO or Corvette 2005-2006 ish.

I did a quick search of ebay and lots of places say the sell an ECU that fits such a car, but as I said I need it to say it is one.

So my question is there a specific ECU number I need to find?

I have looked at the popular LT1Swap sight, but he does not mention these years for the GTO/Vette.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would guess they would be using the engine identifier in the VIN stored in the PCM to tell them what the engine size is. (8th digit of the VIN) Perhaps you should find that out. Then does the VIN in the PCM need to match the VIN on the car? And what the block is made out of should have nothing to do with it. You could be looking at that iron block installed in a vehicle and not know if it is a 4.8, 5.3 or a 6.0 unless you tell them.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically they told me they look at the system as a whole and check for the 6.0L casting on the block. I plan to actually visit the ref in person so I can take good notes. He was talking fast. But he mentioned several times that OBDII check tells them what the engine size should be. And if "all the sensors are working" Upper & Lower O2, Evap and he said something about fuel, which I missed.

Quick Reply: Newby Engine ECM Selection Help Needed