Sponsored by:

Code scanner not reading the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code scanner not reading the ECU

Hi all,

I recently bought a bluetooth code scanner that plugs into the OBD port but I have a problem.

The scanner is getting power and bluetooth connects with my phone but it can't seem to read the cars ECU.

This is the scanner, an ELM 327

When first plugged in the scanner flashes the three lights it had, I think red, amber and green once, but then only shows the red light so it has power but is not reading the ECU. It does this when the car is on and also when the key is on the powered up setting too, no difference.

My question for you fine folks on here is to ask - Is there a fuse or something I can check for the ECU to see if that has a problem which may be why the scanner can't communicate with the ECU as it should? Is there something in the under the hood fuse box I should check or the one under/to the left of the steering wheel?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OBD fuse is usually with the CIG or AUX fuse, but if it is lighting up when it is plugged in I would say the fuse is good. Not familiar with the Bluetooth deals but maybe there is something within the app that needs to be setup to retrieve data.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Does it work with a different scanner?

Maybe go by the Auto Part Store and see if they'll let you try their scanner on it?

-KP
Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

OK thanks so if it is getting power then the ECU is working and should be able to be communicated with?

I am going to try a few more things with the scanner but its really annoying as it should just plug in, connect to the phone via bluetooth and then scan the cars ecu for codes etc.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by American-Muscle1989
OK thanks so if it is getting power then the ECU is working and should be able to be communicated with?

I am going to try a few more things with the scanner but its really annoying as it should just plug in, connect to the phone via bluetooth and then scan the cars ecu for codes etc.
I have the same problem. My bluetooth scanner is not connecting to the ECU. I have checked all the fuses recommended.

I got the SES light lastnight for the first time in 11 years. I can't remember if i ever tried to connect to the camaro before to play with it or not.

Any other suggestions besides trying autozone?

Quick Reply: Code scanner not reading the ECU