Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K5, 5.3 swap. Help with touching up tune / knock question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K5, 5.3 swap. Help with touching up tune / knock question

I have an 87 K5 Blazer that I have swapped in a 5.3. The motor is stock with just a free flowing exhaust going to a dynomax muffler and a 4" cold air intake.

I had the truck unlocked and set with a base "performance tune" for premium fuel. This was all before I got HP tuners and started tuning. I have touched up all the fueling that was majorly off. The truck still gets terrible MPG compared to other swaps I have read about. I know my trans pump is weak and is probably causing excessive load on the motor resulting in mpg loss.

The main reason I am posing and asking for help is I have light knock in a couple cells. I have tried the tune with 87 oct. after seeing the timing looks nearly identical to stock, so I didnt see how this was a premium only tune. After noticing I did in fact have some knock I tried it again with 91 oct. and it still has knock at the 2000 - 3200 rpm range across 55-85 map kpa cells. The reason I don't just pull timing is my 01 1500HD with 6.0 running a totally stock spark map with just some fueling fixed shows this same general area having knock. Do these motors just have a knock problem in those cells?

Please check my tune file and my data log. If you guys notice anything out of ordinary or that I could tune better I would really appreciate the input.

EDIT: I realized this morning that I uploaded a second log and not the tune file by mistake. The tune file has been added and second log file deleted.

Last edited by Metal_ftw; 05-25-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody?

Do these engines just tend to knock at high map, mid to low rpm? I really figured the stock spark map would be a little conservative. A little worried about what is causing the knock I am seeing. I have adjusted burst knock some. I also seafoamed my engine incase I had some carbon causing my knocking.

Quick Reply: K5, 5.3 swap. Help with touching up tune / knock question