Sponsored by:

Idle is almost perfect....need help fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Idle is almost perfect....need help fine tuning

Hey guys,
I'm almost done fine tuning my idle and everything looks really good. The car idles almost perfect coming to a stop and doesnt hunt for idle or anything. The only hiccup is when im in a heavy clutch in/out on/off throttle situation like you would get if you were in a drive through or behind a line of people at a toll booth when you doing alot of clutching. Otherwise the idle is damn near perfect and im almost afraid to mess with it anymore. Heres my setup:

02 WS6
-FAST 92/92 PORTED INTAKE
-11.1 COMPRESSION MILLED .030 2.5 LS6 HEADS
-TSP 228R 228/228 .600/.600 112 LSA
-QTP 1 3/4 HEADERS
-MAGNAFLOW CB W/HIGH FLOW CATS

Attached are a log and my tune, maybe one of you guys can chime in on why im having this little issue? Thanks for any help its appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
idle final.hpl (2.11 MB, 85 views)
File Type: hpt
jeff heads cam.hpt (229.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

And what is it doing, before I spend time trying to look through a log to see if I can find it?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rpturbo
And what is it doing, before I spend time trying to look through a log to see if I can find it?
So basically if you slip the clutch out in gear then you have to come to a quick stop again and now your in neutral as the rpms fall it will dip down almost to a stall then recover but it seems to overcompensate and then finally dies. It seems like the rpms swing a little bit wild but like i said its only in these types of slow moving quick on off throttle situations .
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I cant seem to get your tune to load - I keep getting these invalid link errors. however, here's what worked for me.

my follower decay tables were both zeroed out in the lower speed / lower rpm regions. I put a 2-second delay in. I cut the follower decay values in half. I doubled the follower air in the lower rpm ranges.

If you do all that and the idle starts hanging, start backing down on the follower air very slightly.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Are these the tables your referring to? Will altering these have any impact on base running airflow/dynamic airflow?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula934
Are these the tables your referring to? Will altering these have any impact on base running airflow/dynamic airflow?
yes those are the tables. Thanks for posting the picture.

Altering those tables will serve to add just a bit of air after you snap the throttle closed, resulting in the idle pausing at 1200 or so and then gently settle to idle.

Since you're only having issue at low speed throttle stabs, here's where I'd start:

In the airflow table at 0 tps, key in 0.500. Then interpolate between that and the .79 cell. In the delay table, I would just put 2 seconds in the entire table. Flash that and see how it goes. If it starts hanging at too high rpm, then work the low TPS follower air cells lower. If you find it still occasionally surging on throttle snaps add more follower air and increase the delay.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
yes those are the tables. Thanks for posting the picture.

Altering those tables will serve to add just a bit of air after you snap the throttle closed, resulting in the idle pausing at 1200 or so and then gently settle to idle.

Since you're only having issue at low speed throttle stabs, here's where I'd start:

In the airflow table at 0 tps, key in 0.500. Then interpolate between that and the .79 cell. In the delay table, I would just put 2 seconds in the entire table. Flash that and see how it goes. If it starts hanging at too high rpm, then work the low TPS follower air cells lower. If you find it still occasionally surging on throttle snaps add more follower air and increase the delay.
okay i ll give that a try thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Idle is almost perfect....need help fine tuning