Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo Trinity and LQ4 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Trinity and LQ4 tuning

I swapped an lq4 into a 1998 Trans am. Ported heads. Cam. Stock Ls1 intake (don't judge me). I recently came across a great deal on a diablo trinity. They're usually $500-600. But I found it brand new for $250. My car runs but it needs to be tuned. So my question is can I delete the front O2's and the egr system on the device? Or do I still have to take it to a tuner?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no you can not.. still would need a custom tune done in order to disable codes, etc..

and the FRONT o2 sensors are the ones that control fueling/fuel trims... you don't want to disable those.. you have to have those installed and working correctly..

the REAR o2 codes can be disabled..

the handheld is going to go by the VIN number on the pcm so it knows what preset canned tune it would be able to install.. and if it's your stock pcm, then it won't work, because 1998 is not supported.. and if it's the pcm that came with the engine, be it a truck or whatever it came out of, it would think that is the vehicle it's installing a tune for, which won't necessarily be what you want for your car/tranny setup...

with being a swap, and with the cam/heads, I would take it to a shop to get done...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
no you can not.. still would need a custom tune done in order to disable codes, etc..

and the FRONT o2 sensors are the ones that control fueling/fuel trims... you don't want to disable those.. you have to have those installed and working correctly..

the REAR o2 codes can be disabled..

the handheld is going to go by the VIN number on the pcm so it knows what preset canned tune it would be able to install.. and if it's your stock pcm, then it won't work, because 1998 is not supported.. and if it's the pcm that came with the engine, be it a truck or whatever it came out of, it would think that is the vehicle it's installing a tune for, which won't necessarily be what you want for your car/tranny setup...

with being a swap, and with the cam/heads, I would take it to a shop to get done...

I knew I couldn't get the canned tunes for it since it's a 98, it is the original computer. But will it not work at all for my car?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if it's a 1998 pcm, then no, won't work at all on it..not supported..

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
if it's a 1998 pcm, then no, won't work at all on it..not supported..
I have a 99 pcm laying around. If I put that in will it work
Old 12-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by B_pursell
I have a 99 pcm laying around. If I put that in will it work
You have to repin the entire harness to get a 99 PCM to work. It is not trivial; and I believe that some wires have to extended if you want to keep the PCM in the stock location. In other words some wire are too short to reach to their new position in the connectors.

I would suggest contacting e.g. one of the tuning sponsor for a mail order tune to your '98 PCM.

Quick Reply: Diablo Trinity and LQ4 tuning