Sponsored by:

Mix and match electronics for 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
org
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix and match electronics for 6.0

I have a new LQ4 longblock and am considering what parts to gather to complete it for a non automotive application. I plan to use a LS1 type intake and wonder what pitfalls I need to avoid for sensors and PCM choices.

Specifically, what models/years are compatible? Can I use a 2000 PCM with a 2003 harness and intake/fuel injection setup for example? I don't want to end up with a bunch of parts that won't work together.

What I need to end up with is a low profile intake, (which eliminates the LQ4 setup) and a PCM that controls ONLY the basic engine necessities: mixture control, ignition control, and making the engine run. No VATS, gages, etc. Ideally, I would like to run in the open loop mode without O2 sensors. The whole setup needs to be as simple as possible and as reliable as a hammer.

This is for aircraft use and is an initial setup, so I'm trying to avoid having a lot of unnecessary electronics until I get some experience on the engine.

I'm also considering just chucking the GM EFI and going with a Edelbrock carb setup for a while.

Comments are welcome, thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge of the group.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:23 PM
org
On The Tree

ttttt

Originally Posted by org
I have a new LQ4 longblock and am considering what parts to gather to complete it for a non automotive application. I plan to use a LS1 type intake and wonder what pitfalls I need to avoid for sensors and PCM choices.

Specifically, what models/years are compatible? Can I use a 2000 PCM with a 2003 harness and intake/fuel injection setup for example? I don't want to end up with a bunch of parts that won't work together.

What I need to end up with is a low profile intake, (which eliminates the LQ4 setup) and a PCM that controls ONLY the basic engine necessities: mixture control, ignition control, and making the engine run. No VATS, gages, etc. Ideally, I would like to run in the open loop mode without O2 sensors. The whole setup needs to be as simple as possible and as reliable as a hammer.

This is for aircraft use and is an initial setup, so I'm trying to avoid having a lot of unnecessary electronics until I get some experience on the engine.

I'm also considering just chucking the GM EFI and going with a Edelbrock carb setup for a while.

Comments are welcome, thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge of the group.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

The only major issues you'll have is tuning, honestly. The MAP, MAF, ECT, etc all play such a vital role in getting the engine to run right. The cam and crank position sensor as well. Were it myself, I'd go carb but I'm not sure how that would work up at altitude since the fueling changes would be great. You can get around all of the pain in the *** stuff like VATS, 02's, etc. but if it's an option fuel injection sounds to be a better plan for you.