PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats more important...correct idle airflow, or correct IAC counts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats more important...correct idle airflow, or correct IAC counts?

I adjusted my idle airflow vs. ECT to the correct airflow, and now my desired IAC counts are between 250-280 at all times. So which needs to be right? I seem to have given myself a slight case of the cruise control effect...not quite enough to keep me accelerating, just enough for it to take the car a little longer to slow down while in gear and decelerating without the brake. What gives?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

I've been playing with Idle Airflow a bit more too, and noticed the same thing. The higher the idle airflow value, the more IAC's.

How high do you have your values?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a theory that once you open your throttle for a cam or whatever and increase the idle airflow to match, the pcm doesn't account for that when calculating what iac position it needs for a certain amount of flow. That could cause a cruise control effect because the iac would be opening too much to get the airflow needed under the throttle cracker tables. It would also throw off your desired iac counts i would think.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
I have a theory that once you open your throttle for a cam or whatever and increase the idle airflow to match, the pcm doesn't account for that when calculating what iac position it needs for a certain amount of flow. That could cause a cruise control effect because the iac would be opening too much to get the airflow needed under the throttle cracker tables. It would also throw off your desired iac counts i would think.
I figured that much. I would assume there is a table we have not seen yet that should let us change this. Unless for some unseen reason the actual value stored in the PCM is not really g/sec, but is actually IAC counts, and we just are not allowed to see that part. It would make a little more sense. I have a feeling changing the g/sec when your car already runs right is not a good idea. I took that crap out and my car runs better.