PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used HP Tuners for the first time today!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Used HP Tuners for the first time today!! :)

Hey guys I used HP Tuners today! UPS delivered it yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to install it (very hard to sleep last night). So I loaded it up today to try it out, and it works great, I'm very impressed with the functions, and ease of use of the whole suite. I read my PCM, and also spent about 30 minutes using the Scanner and doing a little bit of logging (just in my driveway, no street driving yet).

Works perfect, and I discovered one thing wrong with my car! The IAT was reading 36* F!! It took me a minute to figure it out, but then a light bulb came on and I thought "That stupid SOB..." popped the hood, and there it was staring at me! I can't believe I didn't see that before! The previous owner installed one of those IAT trickers! So I shut off the car, removed it, then the IAT read a normal 90* F. What an idiot, that's like the first commandment of the car modding bible "Thou shalt not trick thine PCM"

Anyways... I was going to lean out my PE Fuel in upper RPM range slightly, but now I'm not so sure since that IAT tricker was installed on the dyno runs I did. Would that affect PE mode? How much would IAT affect performance? I'm almost thinking no since the "Add vs. IAT" is grayed out", and this is a MAF car. The AFR from 4500 -6200 RPM was no more than 12.3 and was mostly around 12.1-12.2

I also want to mess with the timing (carefully) after I do some logging at WOT to see if I get any KR as it is right now.

So far I've disabled C.A.G.S in the editor (why not, that light is annoying) and dropped the fan temperatures 10 degrees in each field. What do you guys set your fan temps at even lower? Just wondering, I haven't reflashed the PCM yet, I want to do a little bit more than just the fans

I'm still a noob... so I need to start reading all the stickys... threads... search (the Jerami button) among many other websites to get an idea of what else would be good to change right now. Any suggestions? I think I really don’t need to mess with anything else than what I’ve mentioned since I’m pretty close to stock for the time being… as the mods pile up this will become a better, and better tool. Again wow, what a great program!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it gets addicting! With your mods you don't really need to do much tuning. You can always mess around with the timing to see if you can squeeze more hp out of her. Just always go slow and keep each file so you can go back to an earlier tune if you want to. Also make sure you monitor your kr whenever you make fueling and/or timing changes. First get your fuel trims in line before working on wot. They should be slightly negative. This can be done with the ifr table or some have had success with the ve table. Good luck and ask a lot of questions. There are many smart people on the board. Much smarter than I am, I'm still somewhat of a noob myself when it comes to tuning. I'll get to tune my new cam soon though!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe it affects PE... however it would have an affect on timing (prolly get more timing than you do in really hot weather, check the IAT Timing Add table to see how it works as far as removing and adding timing based on IAT)
Old 09-14-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ifr table? Is that injector flow rate? And are you talking about the LT fuel trims that should be made slightly negative?

Oh and with the IAT add table, it doesn't start to pull timing until 98* and 60 kPa... then as it gets hotter it moves to -2... then -3 to a maximum of -8 at 194* F . So I suppose now I could lose a few degrees when it's hot, but I know it's not good to trick the computer... I could always rescale the table if I wanted to, but I think I'll wait on that. Thanks for the replies guys!

Quick Reply: Used HP Tuners for the first time today!! :)