Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF translator directions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF translator directions

i just picked up a MAF translator from a guy, i got it because i dynoed my car and it was running lean so i needed some way to richen it up. i opened it up and there is a little scale on there that tells you what all the adjustments do. so what should i set it to. like at base should i set it to like 5% rich at base and like 4% rich at wot or what? i think my a/f ratio was like 13.68:1 and ideal was like 13:1 or somthin like that. so let me know what you guys think.
thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MAF translators were somewhat of a "band-aid" if you had an incorrect a/f in the days before tuning software existed. The only way to dial in the correct a/f is to get it tuned, dyno tune with wideband for example.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good page that shows you how to use it.

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/ltft.php
Old 11-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Basically you set Base and WOT dials both to zero, then keep changing your Base dial until your LTFT's are negative, then change the WOT dial to change your WOT AFR. You'll need to put about 50 minutes of driving time on each Base change, but not needed for WOT. As Josh stated, it was and still is a bandaid. Will it work? Probably. Is it ideal - no.

I bought one used from a fella who later did my tuning (that was a waste of money). When they did the tuning, they disconnected my MAFT and left the cables lying loose. A couple of days later I go to take it off and notice the accessory belt has basically chewed the cables in half. Some high quality work there.

Oh, I had a heck of a time using a de-screened and ported MAF with it.