PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this mean, just read a note on the back of my dyno graph....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this mean, just read a note on the back of my dyno graph....

"converter slips 300 rpm's at the first hit of the throttle and it slips 1,500 rpm's at the end of the run"

It was written in pen on the back of my printout.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difference between the input and output speed of the transmission

Unless a converter is locked (lockup clutch engaged) a torque converter is always slipping (the part that turns the trans is spinning slower than that which the flexplate turns) This is why an auto can come to a complete stop, w/out having to disengage the transmission from the engine...

Our cars are dynoed in 3rd gear (for auto) because 3rd gear is 1:1 , w/a locked converter what goes in comes out (1000 RPM at the engine, 1000 RPM out the transmission)

So if they took it to 6000 RPM, 1500 RPM slip = 25% converter slip, so 25% of the RPMs are lost at the big end from converter slippage...

Vigilante converters tend to be less efficient than other brands , so higher slippage up top is more acceptable... my last vig 3600 was slipping 20% ... my Yank slips 10%

What RPM was it brought up to? What gear do you have? how tall of a tire? Any idea on what mph you were at when he got off it on the dyno?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist

What RPM was it brought up to? What gear do you have? how tall of a tire? Any idea on what mph you were at when he got off it on the dyno?
I know my rev limiter is set to 6,950. I have a 315/35/17. 3:73 gears. Looks like it only went to 6400 rpm on the graph.
I don't know the mph during the run.