Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lt1 Needs To Pass Emissions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lt1 Needs To Pass Emissions!!!

I moved to Atlanta from Louisiana about a year ago. I had put most bolt-ons available on the engine. The headers are the BBK shorties... . I did not hook the air injection up to the headers. The hook ups are still in my old state. Also, I added a Hypertech module that piggybacks between the harness and pcm. Put a 160 thermo instead of the 180, and I used a sensor that was faulty on my friend's water pump would keep the fans on all the time. I put that on and of course the SES light stays on , but the coolant stays @170 all the time. . In Atlanta you must pass emissions every year. I knew it wouldn't pass so I have renewed the registration and insurance in Louisiana this whole time. I just got a letter last night from the insurance co saying they won't renew it anymore. So... now I will need to register here and pass emissions. Will this work: put a 195 'stat in, remove the Hypertech module, replace the waterpump coolant switch, and run 87 octane when I go to test. Will this pass w/out the air injection. The headers do have a catted Y pipe. Thanks for any help. Really, THANKS!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Any opinions? A guess? A glimmer of hope? A winning lottery ticket? Hello?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

May work but is my guess.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

my brother's 95lt1 w/ 160 thermostat, hot cam, ported lt4 heads, single cat with stock manifolds, missing egr tube passed CLEAN. not sure what kind of emissions you guys have over there, but we're on the rollers over here. hope this helped. good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might work. What year lt1 are we talking about here? A faulty engine temp sensor will completly throw off your a/f ratio, it may not even be entering closed loop mode, i'd take it off and leave it off. The 'hypertech' module should be taking care of fan temps for you or else you should install a fan switch.

I'd do the above mentioned but 87 probably won't help, combustion temp might become to hot and then you'll fail NOx

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 01-29-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone!!! The year model is '94. OBD1 cars go on the rollers, and OBD2 just do the diagnostic port. MY LT1 car will be getting a full restore here in the next few years. It will continue to be my beater 'till then. My '02 is the pride and joy, and the '94 is the "memories" car. If the Hot cam passed then my stock cammed 1.6 roller rocker should pass. the hypertech doesn't do anything for the fans. It's not the hand held unit. This goes under hood near the computer. I think it reads the air temp and lean the mixture out max so it give more at wide open throttle only.Any other ideas?