PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling an air bag - will the light always be on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 05:01 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling an air bag - will the light always be on?

I want to disable the passenger air bag. My son would like a ride in the front of the car and I won't let him sit in front of an air bag until he is bigger. I know I can simply disconnect the bad under the dash on that side but am I going always have the air bag light come on the dash? Would the driver bag still fire in an accident?

I assume the system checks for a resistance to know if the bag is still connected or not but I am not willing to measure the resistance of the bag since I have no idea how much of a charge it takes to ignite it.

Can I use a resistor? Do I even need one?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

place a switch inline with the Airbags power supply. when he wants to ride, flip the switch to kill it. I don't belive the backup holds power for more than a few minutes, as its only needed long enough to detonate the charge if the main battery is smashed and stops working at the time of the accident. the drivers side airbag will still fuction, the Airbag light will remain on as long as the pass airbag is disabled by the switch. this will be a good reminder to turn it back on when someone big enough is in the seat.

If anyone knows this is a bad idea please speak up. many current GM vehicle offer a option to let the driver enable/disable the passenger side airbag, so i think it is safe enough.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard you need a 2 ohm resistor to avoid the light.

Without the resistor, I would think the driver's would still be functional, but don't know that for a fact. With the resistor, everything should appear normal to the bag control module.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:54 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

2 Ohms sounds pretty low. If would flow 6A if 12 V were put across it. Mind you its a firing mechanism.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only post I can remember reading anything about it at all...

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=2130&

Quick Reply: Disabling an air bag - will the light always be on?