Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU and emissions codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU and emissions codes

I have a question regarding keeping the ECU happy with non EGR headers. Lets assume the car is for "off-road use" and emissions dont apply. Im gonna run the LT's and ORYP. My understanding is i need a pair of o2 simulators to take the place of the rear o2 sensors, then i can just leave in the o2 sensors or use o2 plugs in the ORYP. This will keep the CEL light off, even though it doesnt actually hurt performance if its on? Am i on track or am i missing anything?

Furthermore, lets say i want to remove the EGR hoses, that odd charcoal canister thing under the fuse box, and the contraption on the passenger side front of the motor that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold that has a sensor on it. If i unplug it and leave the sensor hanging, then plug the intake manifold hole, will the ECU throw any codes? Is there anything else im missing here guys?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can just unhook it all and drive as long as you don't mind the SES light.
Until you go into the codes and disable the error codes, you're going to get the SES light. I wouldn't even bother with O2 simulators.

If you screw with the fuel vapor recovery system, don't forget to vent the tank properly, or you'll cause more problems.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by white2001s10
You can just unhook it all and drive as long as you don't mind the SES light.
Until you go into the codes and disable the error codes, you're going to get the SES light. I wouldn't even bother with O2 simulators.

If you screw with the fuel vapor recovery system, don't forget to vent the tank properly, or you'll cause more problems.

Is the SES what comes on for the o2 sensors?

How do i need to vent the fuel tank properly?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Is the SES what comes on for the o2 sensors?

How do i need to vent the fuel tank properly?
When the rear O2's don't read what is expected by the PCM, you get the service engine soon light.
The SES light comes on when error codes are set for other things as well.

The factory vapor recovery system works very well as is. If you remove it, then you have to vent the tank somehow. If you plug it, there will be a problem with pressure & vacuum building in the tank. You also have to keep dirt & moisture out of the vent or it will contaminate the fuel.
When the evap system is missing or not working correctly, that also sets an error code.
Remember that fuel vapors are flamable when you're deciding where to vent the tank.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Right when i think i have everything out here comes a curve ball and i get confused again.

It sounds like the SES light can be eliminated my eliminating the codes(im guessing ls1 edit).

Is the factory vapor recovery system that contraption under the fuse box? If so im assuming it has a hose running to the fuel tank and one could simply leave this hose venting to atmosphere.