PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service vehicle light with airbag!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service vehicle light with airbag!!!!!!!!!!!!

about a day ago my service vehicle light started appearing with the airbag. i turned the car off and turned it back on it turned off and i never saw it again, now today i was driving an all of a sudden it turned back on also with the airbag light, so i tried turning the car of and turning it back on it it didnt show up for 2 secounds and then it appeared. i tried everything to get rid of it but cant. the warrenty expired already since its a 2000 transam. what other ways can i get rid of it without causing any damage to the car.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I am experiencing the same F#@$en problem!!! It's not there when i start the car but after i begin to drive it they come on!!! I took it over to the dealer cause i have an extended warranty and they found nothing wrong. They said that they had to test the codes when the light is on. I've tried taking it over to checker auto, but the engine has to be off when they check em. so when i turn it off and turn the ignition on it goes away!!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

well with my case, the light turns on and stays on. i cant get rid of it.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

some one here has to know what to do about this. i didnt touch anything or messed with the airbag. if nothing works then i might just discounect the battery
Old 04-16-2005, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

i went to dealership where my friend works and the tech 2 computer could not comunicate with the car. he said that maybe the airbag modual is broken or something. my warrenty is expired because its a 2000 transam with 28,000 miles. i dont understand how something like an airbag modual breaks. i didnt do anything to the car. i got my brakes done and then the next day the lights came on. what should i do. he said that right now my airbags are not going to deploy if i get into a car accident. what should i do??????????????
Old 04-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Launching!

You said you just had your brakes done - I couldn't think of what harm that could cause, but depending on how soon after that event you noticed the light, I might go back to them to at least register a claim. As for the dealer 'not being able to communicate with the car', well, I'd be a little more nervous about that. Find someone in your area with some sort of PCM software that can take a look at things for you. You might have more going on than what's showing up right now. I certainly wouldn't go replacing modules without having some diagnostics done first.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

i went back and they tried connecting the computer and they also had problems communicating with the car. i dont know what to do anymore.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Just but a new sdm module which is you air bag module it is competly
seperate from your pcm.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

so ur saying just buy a new airbag module? u think that shoud fix the problems
Old 04-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Guys,
If you have an extended warranty or if you still have a federal emission warranty in effect that F***en system is covered. I mean your self diagnosis obd 2. Tell the dealer "well, if the system wont communicate theres a ***** chart in the service manual to diagnosis that specific fault" No communication is a common theme and theres nothing new here. Explain to them to do what the diagnostic circuit tests directs them to do.

I have done drive-ability for 20 some years and there is no much to test, sorry but I don't have the books handy because I stopped doing it in 2002 because of a back injury. If any of you have a service manual let me know and I can help you guys out. The systems are interlinked, air bag, anti-lock brakes, traction control, hvac, body sub-systems and the engine control module. They use each others inputs for there operation and when one has a problem the others may default to a neutral state. IE, abs fault will effect traction control, or engine misfire will effect traction control etc. The air bag or the ecm may need inputs to calculate maps for each other and if one fails the other will be effected. My guess is one has gone down and its data line is shared with the other effectively shorting the network. They use a central communication line and a skewed module can screw things up. I believe one of the steps if this is the problem is to unplug the air bag module from the module (d.E.R.M.) and see if the date to the ECM returns. Its been a while but I do know the systems, let me know if I can help out.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Teching In

What about my problem, the lights aren't always on, they come on after about 2 minutes of driving, and when i take it to get the codes checked the fucken lights turn off!!! All the places i go to say that the lights need to be on when they check the codes, it's really starting to **** me off. I've taken it to the dealer twice and twice they found nothing(or they say), i have bumper to bumper extended warranty but had to pay a diognostic fee both times because they found nothing, so i'm through taking it to the dealer! Help!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackTAWS6
What about my problem, the lights aren't always on, they come on after about 2 minutes of driving, and when i take it to get the codes checked the fucken lights turn off!!! All the places i go to say that the lights need to be on when they check the codes, it's really starting to **** me off. I've taken it to the dealer twice and twice they found nothing(or they say), i have bumper to bumper extended warranty but had to pay a diognostic fee both times because they found nothing, so i'm through taking it to the dealer! Help!
Why don't you setup a time with the service manager to take a ride in your car drive around... beat on... do whatever it takes to make it happen. If it only comes on after a while, make it come on and don't turn the car off, then take it to the dealer. Then when they recognize that its a problem ... you should ask for you money back for the diagnostic fees. One thing thats interesting is our cars can record upto 5 seconds of data before a crash, but don't log when/why a SES/airbag light came on.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Teching In

thanks, i'll try that and post up the results. We'll see how it goes