PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for cheap way to view knock retard, used Predator or other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Looking for cheap way to view knock retard, used Predator or other suggestions?

Guys, I am unlucky enough to not have any friends who have Tech2 or Predator that I can borrow, so I am now looking to buy something (cheap if possible) to watch my Knock Retard.

I have been told that I can get a used Predator cheap (like ~$100) which won't let me tune but I can watch my Knock Retard and other stuff with it. Is this the best idea?

I have borrowed a friends scantool located here: http://www.scantool.net and installed the "GM Optimized" software that's supposed to see KR, but it's just greyed out for the Z28. So, that one's out unless any of you know of software that works with this cheap tool for the Z28's KR.

Any other suggestions? I have a 98 Z28 A4. Any handheld scanners anyone knows of that can do this for me reasonbly priced? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the guage they are selling in this link. I got one from them when I was looking for a better way to monitor my coolant temp. It's well worth $200 IMO

Last edited by horist; 07-13-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AWESOME, thank you for that.

I think the best "bang for the buck" for viewing "extended GM" parameters in OBDII is the LS1M

Here's the trick to keep the price down if you already have a laptop, skip the palm and instead run a palm emulator on a laptop (which they show on their site that it works).

I have one on the way, will let you all know if it works out.

Note that there are a LOT of scanners out there that do OBD II but NOT the extended GM features, almost all of the email replies I got said they did NOT support extended GM stuff. LS1M does support it.

Last edited by horist; 07-13-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

the LS1M can't save data though right? I believe I read somewhere that the Aeroforce gauge can save some data for playback (WOT only I *think*)

Finish Line Performance carries these gauges I believe
Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

the aeroforce guage can record and starts recording once you >50% thrittle and >65% engine load. I set it to view RPM and what ever else I want to take a close look at. You control the playback rate by holding down the right buttom for forward play and the left buttom is for reverse play.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horist
the LS1M can't save data though right? I believe I read somewhere that the Aeroforce gauge can save some data for playback (WOT only I *think*)

Finish Line Performance carries these gauges I believe
Welp, according to their web site it looks like it can save data. I already ordered it, I should have it by Thursday, I'll let you know after I play with it. Looks like it even imports log data to a PC. I finally should be able to see my knock retard. Yay!

-mk3cn4
Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS1M scanner can record data, play it back, export to a PC in text or .csv (Excel) format or EFILive format, although EFILive format isn't necessarily perfect (isn't used much). The next version 1.7d, which will come out in a few days, allows you to set start/stop triggers on the logging so you can, say, start recording when the tps reads > 50% and stop when you reach 115mph or after 20 seconds or whatever. As far as keeping the price down, you can also save some $ by getting an old Palm m100/105 or IIIxe off of ebay if you don't want to hastle with a laptop and the Emulator.

-Mark
(I'm not a sponsor here, hope this reply is OK)
Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a palm IIIxe off ebay for 30.00 brand new and ordered the ls1m software today...seems like it will be great for logging and clearing/reading the trouble codes. I'll post up after i try it out.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok Kids, the ls1m is pretty cool.

I made some runs, both before and after a HPP3 tune. I haven't filtered through the data yet, but getting the files over to my PC in CSV format, I have imported them into EXCEL and made full graphs of pre and post HPP3 showing timing and KR. Printing and overlapping the charts shows KR at various RPM's and total timing as well, and shows the KR decay over time and stuff like that.

I haven't figured out yet some details like if the timing measurement already accounts for the KR, and fine details like that, but clearly this is a good tool for checking things out on your car.

I would like to see more things monitored, even my OBDI scanner shows a lot more stuff than ls1m, including what gear you're in and other details. I imagine it's just a matter of finding out what to query and display the result to the screen, so you'd think every possible parameter would be covered but doesn't appear to be. Maybe future versions, or OBDII has limitations OBDI doesn't...?

Anyway, as-is the ls1m is a good buy, without question. If it did more measurements, it'd be a GREAT buy.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

If you want a good OBD2 scanner software, you might check out EASE...full featured, enhanced GM, can log for about 100 minutes, check individual cylinder firing, do CASE learn and other bidirectional functions.

Quick Reply: Looking for cheap way to view knock retard, used Predator or other suggestions?