Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical/Resistor Question! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical/Resistor Question! PLEASE HELP

Long story short, I've done the "cooling fan" mod before and do not particularly like it, so.....

What I'm looking to do is wire the fans completely by themselves. I did it on my LT1 in sig so I know what to do and how to do it, my question is this-

What kind of resistor/s would I need to plug the two little harnesses going to the fan so I won't set a SES. On my LT1 I had already done a ton of mods when I wired the fans and had a SES before I wired them, so it wasn't really a big deal.

So does anyone know what kind of resistor/s I'm gonna need to cap off the fan plugs/harnesses???

TIA, Jon
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually measured the current draw of the fan relays way back when I installed a fan switch. Don't have the exact numbers anymore, but I think it was around 150 ma for one relay, maybe double for both. (This is the fan relays, NOT the actual fans.) So that would mean 80 ohms to simulate the lo fan relay, 40 ohms to simulate both. Meaning 80 ohms in place of each relay (gives 40 when they're in parallel.) You'll need to use 5 watt resistors.

Last edited by patSS/00; 06-27-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks.

I had a thought last night though. As long as the signal from the ECU to the fan RELAY gets there with no interuption, wouldn't that be ok?? I mean, can the ECU monitor or tell if the fans are unhooked past the relay as long as everything from the ECU to the relay is ok???

If this is the case I'll just unhook the fans. If not I'll just go with the info provided above.

Thanks a bunch, Jon
Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes you're right, it only sees the relays not the fans directly.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks a lot Pat...

Jon