Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Chevy Camaro RS 3800 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1997 Chevy Camaro RS 3800 V6

I have a 1997 Chevy Camaro RS 3800 V6. I been having a problem with my Camaro for a couple of months now and it is very puzzling to me. Whats happening is that when I'm driving the vehicle on the freeway,highway, or city streets the car just cuts off instantly with no warning.The check gauge light is the only light that displays when this happens. After it shuts off it sometimes will restart instantly but normally it takes one to two minutes. After restarting and driving, it will shut off again within five minutes. I have been noticing that the tachometer needle will not move when I try restarting it sometimes, when the tachometer needle starts jumping and moving the vehicle normally will start up and I sometimes have to press the accelerator all the way to the floor before it cranks up. This problem would happen every five days or so, but it has gotten worse and is happening at least once to two times a day. My fuel pump (original) went bad about five months ago so I bought a used one that came off a 95 Camaro and my mechanic installed it for me. I recently had my control module checked at O'Reiily Auto Parts and it checked good, but I still bought a new control module and the car is still having the same problem. Some people say my fuel pump is going bad, but I don't want to keep guessing and spend unnecessary money on parts that I do not need.
Please give me suggestions on what I should get tested or replace so this problem can be solved.

derrickbrown6969
1997 Black Camaro RS 3800 V6

Last edited by derrickbrown6969; 08-05-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Definitly get that fuel pump tested. That was the first thing I thought of even before I noticed you got it "used." That fuel pump may or may not have the same specs for a 3.8 engine, as I know it was used to feed a 3.4 litre engine. Have it checked, or simply replace it with a new stock GM part. Fuel pumps you dont want to gamble with.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply sdbrown84, I will definetly go to the Cheverolet dealer tomorrow and get a diagnostic check. Majority of people that I described my problem to also suggested that I need to check the fuel pump just like you mentioned. But I thought when a fuel pump goes bad that the car would not even start-up or run. Like I said before I was unsure if it was a ignition problem or a fuel problem. In your opioinion a factory GM fuel pump is better than an aftermarket or one you buy at your neighborhood auto parts store? It does make sense that the fuel pump I have that came out of a 95 Camaro isn't spec to pump a 3.8 litre engine. I definetly appreciate your response and hopefully talk to you soon in the near future.
Thanks
dbrown6969
1997 Black Camaro RS
Current Mods:
SLP Air Intake Induction
Hi-flow cat
SS RK Sport Hood
17x9.5 Zo6 Motorsport (black) rims
RK Sport Center Exhaust
Flowmaster Muffler

Quick Reply: 1997 Chevy Camaro RS 3800 V6