PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h/c car hunts for idle EVERY time it is started up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default h/c car hunts for idle EVERY time it is started up?

Hey guys, well im starting to get a little frustrated. My car hunts for idle everytime it is started up(for about 15-20 secs) and it dosent matter if you have been driving for an hour, if you stop and cut it off when you crank it up it acts up. i can barely get through a drive through window, after i cut the car off and order... and start it back up it will spit and sputter all the way around to the window and i have to keep it running or it will cut off. my mods are in my sig and it has been tuned by Jeff Creech. Any ideas ? A buddie of mine has a h/c car with a g5x3 cam and it acts great and drives great,tuned by the same person. thanks guys
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silverbeast
Any ideas ?
start with the stickies

pick up a tuning package
www.efilive.com
www.hptuners.com
Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly, you just need tuning, and it's pretty involved too, lots of tables need to be edited. I've been studying this tuning stuff since LS1 Edit first came out, but I finally ended up, a couple weeks ago, having TeamZR1 fix my my idle problems. He gave me a great deal since I didn't need a complete tune. Best money I ever spent.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

silverbeast:
jeff never does a very good idle tune.. most likely your IAC counts are in the upper 200-low 300 range, and only a couple of the tables are setup to take care of that.. theres two solutions... one is to drill a hole in the throttle body butterfly plate to bring the counts back down into normal range... the other is to modify all of the idle tables to make the 300ish idle count act as "normal"... you're not the only Jeff Creech tune that has starting/idle issues...
honestly, if you know PCM tuning yourself, and then look at what hes done to others cars, you wouldnt want him to touch it again either.... but alas, if i say that, there will be a few people on here telling me about how great he is and what he did for them... of course, these are the same people that have no idea what hes done, or how it all works.. basicly the ignorant (no offense 2 anyone ) yelling hes great. lol...

honestly, id want him to change as little as possible in the PCM, so if it was my car, id probly have him look at the IAC counts and drill the throttlebody until the counts were in a reasonable range... then change the idle air back down to something reasonable... and then be amazed when your car starts up and idles at less then 1000... without issue.. lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any tuning software? Try these if you have tuning software.

http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=9

www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/ls1tuninginfo.doc If you were closer to Charleston I'd love to help you out.

This isn't the first CAM tuned car I've seen with idle problems. He might have the WOT down but doesn't do squat for idle. The last one I saw from him had the idle set to 1100 (on an auto) and the IAC counts were at 250.

Last edited by jay_99z; 08-08-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jay to be honest with you, i would drive to south carolina if it would fix the problem. i dont wont to drill a hole in the throttle body if i dont have to.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sent ya a PM.