Sponsored by:

Tuning an LS1 Powered RockCrawling Buggy W/ HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning an LS1 Powered RockCrawling Buggy W/ HPTuners

Hello all,

I am very new here, and new to LS1's as a whole. My company has a LS1 Powered Rock Crawling Buggy. Full Tube Chassis, custom axles blah blah blah.

As far as the Motor we have a LS1 out of a 98 Camaro. The computer was initially tuned by Speed Scene Wiring. So far we have added a Fast Intake, Fast 90mm Throttle Body, and a Cam from Comp Cams. The cam Specs are .515-.522 with a lobe seperation of 112.0.

So far it seems to run with a bit of a Tick and it is advancing the timing to 35degs. Now this was not with the engine to temp since it is cutting out before that can happen.

We are using HP Tuners to adjust the VCM. We are not looking to get real complicated with this, we just want it to run well.

Any suggestions for our setup and HP Tuners is very appreciated. We are trying to get it to the UROC event in Phoenix on Friday!

THanks in advance.

RJ Lynn
rjlynn@fabfours.com
Old 08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you want to be sure that the PCM is not throwing any codes before you start tuning. then ditch the MAF and go for a SD tune.. read the sticky posts in this forum. especially tuning 101. you may want to flash in a stock bin first to see what it gets you... good luck
Old 08-20-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for rock crawling apps I wouldnt ditch the maf it will help with changes in the environment plus it will make up for mistakes in the ve table it will help the engine run better under rigorous conditions I know because I have a z71 and going 4 wheeling is better with the full setup tuned.

I would follow normal procedures in the stickies uptop regarding tuning the Ve table in speed density then tuning the maf. First get any idle issues knocked out then tune the main airflow with trims and then onto timing. If I can help out let me know.